My New ST-2FPA = Questions

  • paul@sonicviz.com
    Message 1 of 13 , May 8, 2017

    Hi.

    I just bought this mint condition ST-2FPA and received it on the weekend.

    It needed quite a bit of setup to put into playable condition (action, bridge, truss rod) but I persevered and it seems ok now.

    I stuck some Dave Gilmour GHS 10.5 boomers on it and it sounds great.

    My brass rock slide sounds better than the ceramic mudslide I've been using on my old Hohner G3T (for 25 years).

    Question: The manual states the Hi/Lo boost both work the same direction, but my low is reversed from the hi eq. Clockwise seems to cut, and anti cw boosts it. Is this normal or a sign of it being a factory 2nd?

    Also it's flame red, which I hadn't seen before. I've only come across black, white, blue, green, and brown.

    I found this old interview which has some great suggestions http://www.steinbergerworld.com/Q&A/Zummo.htm

    Any other tips on the exploring the sound out there from experienced players?

    I'm still getting used to these high gain active EMG's and the piezo. This thing has some tonal range so any suggestions welcome!

    I usually go through Guitar Rig 5 or a Zoom G3n, and I've noticed you have to set the patches up very differently from ones for my old stock Hohner G3T.

    Thanks in advance.

    Paul

    http://music.sonicviz.com

  • paul@sonicviz.com
    Message 2 of 13 , May 8, 2017
      Also: How can I find out more about where it was made?
      Serial number is U07101478

      I bought it from Marko's in NYC and it was shipped to Tokyo in 6 days

      Seems like it had at least one previous owner (who liked a bendy neck with incredibly high action even for me and I'm a slide player!), and could be Korean made.
    • Peter Sturges

        Message 4 of 13 , May 8, 2017
          Paul,

          entering your serial number here…

          http://guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

          … shows that your guitar was made in…

          Unsung Plant, Korea
          on October, 2007
          Production Number: 1478

          There is no hint saying you've got a factory 2nd, these usually have the serial numbers scratched away to avoid warranty claims. Red Synapses have been among the early ones made, but they stopped making them. A pity, as it looks nice :)

          That pot issue is weird, I have no idea how that might happen (other than removing the pot from the PCB and connecting it again with crossed wires). It is normal that active guitars need different patch settings, especially on modelers, because they usually come with a lot more high frequency range than passive guitars.

          Bernd
        • paul@sonicviz.com
          Message 5 of 13 , May 8, 2017
            Thanks for the info Bernd.

            I contacted Haz labs and they want me to send some pics of the wiring so will see what comes out of that.
          • paul@sonicviz.com
            Message 6 of 13 , May 8, 2017
              I've got some string screws coming from another link Peter posted http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headless-headpiece-string-locking-screw-BLACK-only-screw-/272119831963

              Do you have the email for Jon? I saw your message but couldn't read the email fully and would love to get one of those.

              Does anyone know where you can get a spare capo itself. Looks a little flimsy, and while you can always take it off I kind of like the convenience of not having to dig around for one.

            • Peter Sturges
              Message 7 of 13 , May 8, 2017
                Would prefer not to give out email addresses. But he lurks this forum, just put it out there.

                Peter

                On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 11:49 AM, paul@... [steinberger_world] <steinberger_world@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                I've got some string screws coming from another link Peter posted http://www.ebay.com/ itm/Headless-headpiece-string- locking-screw-BLACK-only- screw-/272119831963

                Do you have the email for Jon? I saw your message but couldn't read the email fully and would love to get one of those.

                Does anyone know where you can get a spare capo itself. Looks a little flimsy, and while you can always take it off I kind of like the convenience of not having to dig around for one.

              • daverowemusic
                Message 8 of 13 , May 8, 2017
                  You can contact Jon through his website, www.jonbondy.com
                  --
                  Dave
                  www.daverowemusic.com
                  Message 9 of 13 , May 8, 2017
                    All Synapses are Korean made.
                    --
                    Dave
                    www.daverowemusic.com

                    Message 10 of 13 , May 8, 2017
                      I don't think HAZ made the boards for the Synapses. Rob Turner designed the electronics for that guitar, but I think the boards were made off-shore, just like the guitars were. If they were made in the US, I think it would have been by EMG. Again, I think they were made elsewhere.
                      --
                      Dave
                      www.daverowemusic.com
                      Message 11 of 13 , May 8, 2017
                        Replacing the entire capo is a dream at this point. There are none to be had. It will last if you take a couple of preventative measures.

                        1. Keep the capo slots lubricated with paraffin wax. I carve a little piece off of a wax bar and rub it into the 3 surfaces of the slot as best I can. It makes a bit of a mess, but it makes the capo work a lot more easily and prevents friction from prematurely wearing the plastic thin.

                        2. Never remove or return the capo to the neck without loosening the tension screws. It should go on and off very easily. The capo WILL break within a year from plastic fatigue if you do not do that. When I first got the guitar, I went through 3 capos doing it the other way. I have not lost one in 7 or 8 years now since I started loosening the screws.
                        --
                        Dave
                        www.daverowemusic.com
                        Message 12 of 13 , May 10, 2017
                          Thanks for the tips

                        • paul@sonicviz.com
                          Message 13 of 13 , May 10, 2017
                            The capo seems like an ideal candidate for scanning and 3D printing, as it's a single piece of molded plastic.
                            Anybody tried it?

                            There's a 3D lab down the street, I might go ask them if it's viable.