Re: SW thread: Re: SW thread: Rechargeable XL

  • Hal Zwicke
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 18, 2012
      Re: SW thread:   Re: SW thread: Rechargeable XL Not true!

      I have purchased all kinds of high quality stereo cables with right hand plugs. Never a problem.

      TP

      On 2/18/12 5:06 PM, "David Fung" <dfung@...> wrote:

      When I wrote earlier about rerouting the wiring so he could use the original battery holder, I considered going farther to suggest an external power box for the strap.  Then you only need a short special cable (strap to instrument) instead of a long one.  But on an XL, you’re really going to need a right-angle jack.  Finding a right angle TRS cable is definitely going to be a challenge.

      David Fung

        --
        Dave Rowe
        Folk Music from Maine,
        the sea, and the ould sod!

        www.daverowemusic.com <http://www.daverowemusic.com>
        www.squidjiggers.com <http://www.squidjiggers.com>

        Exclusive Representation:

        Vactionland Music

        www.vlandmusic.com <http://www.vlandmusic.com>

        TF 866-655-7171

        On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 4:06 PM, pkstone77 <pkstone@...> wrote:

        I'm guessing yours wasn't a *9.6*v NiMH? I'll bet the higher starting voltage is important -- most nominal 9v NiMHs are actually 8.4, or even 7.2(!) volts. Furthermore, both NiMH *and* alkalines discharge to a slightly lower voltage almost immediately on first use, and Steinberger active electronics seem rather intolerant of low voltage.

        The 9.6v NiMHs have two extra cells (and may be slightly larger, but that shouldn't be a problem inside an XL, at least). Note that they also require a higher-voltage charger to get to full (voltage).

        I think I'm going to order a couple of the 9.6v NiMHs (more detail about them is linked below); it may take a while, but I'll report back my results.

        Phil

        http://www.photonlight.com/batteries-and-battery-chargers/powerex-rechargeable-9v-battery-nimh-230mah/

        --- In steinberger_world@yahoogroups.com <mailto:steinberger_world%40yahoogroups.com> , "Steve" <steve_m85@...> wrote:

        > Hi Phil,
        >
        > I had nickel metal hydride 9v. Admittedly very inferior to lithium ion but this was three years ago. I just did a search to see if Li-Ion was available in 9v format and it is. Seems like technology has moved on!
        >
        > http://www.amazon.com/Volt-Lithium-Battery-Charger-Li-Ion/dp/B0038Z8HQ8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3
        >
        > Maybe something for me to consider in the future if the discharge characteristics are gig friendly and forgiving.
        >
        > cheers
        > Steve

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 18, 2012
          Never had the XL25 powered on 9v rechargables, I’ve only owned it for a year.  Generally not keen on EMG’s either – technically very good but the sound isn’t smooth enough for me.  The sound the part on Steeineez though.  I had my Spector NS6 (without EMGs) and Smith BSR5GN when I was using rechargables.

          href="http://www.amazon.com/Volt-Lithium-Battery-Charger-Li-Ion/dp/B0038Z8HQ8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3">http://www.amazon.com/Volt-Lithium-Battery-Charger-Li-Ion/dp/B0038Z8HQ8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3

          > Maybe something for me to consider in the future if the
          discharge characteristics are gig friendly and forgiving.

          cheers
          > Steve

          href="mailto:steinberger_world%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:steinberger_world%40yahoogroups.com

          href="http://www.amazon.com/Maha-PowerEx-IMEDION-Low-Self-Discharge-Rechargeable/dp/tech-data/B0045KJ0Q6/ref=de_a_smtd">http://www.amazon.com/Maha-PowerEx-IMEDION-Low-Self-Discharge-Rechargeable/dp/tech-data/B0045KJ0Q6/ref=de_a_smtd