Re: SW thread: New GL copy from JCustom

  • Jaemin Choi
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 7, 2011
      Sorry, I should have used the word, "GLB" instead of "GL". I totally forgot about GLB. Still GLB is not hollowed(chambered), though.

      --- In steinberger_world@yahoogroups.com, jon <jon@...> wrote:

      > How can anyone call a wooden guitar a "GL copy"?!? Perhaps in shape, but
      > not in technology.
      >
      > Jon
      >
      > On 11/7/2011 9:34 AM, Jaemin Choi wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm happy to report to the group that JCustom is launching a copy of GL.
      > > It will be available on his eBay store(Headlessresearch) in few days.
      > > This GL copy is the part of JCustom's projects to bring back the
      > > Steinberger guitar lines. GM style and Klein style will be followed,
      > > but no date or timing is know yet. T-trem and 12 string bridge are
      > > also in the project list.
      > >
      > > As many can predict, it is not fully graphited through neck version.
      > >
      > > Here is few details that I know so far.
      > > - The neck is graphite neck from Moses. 4 screws just like MusicYo GLB.
      > > - Body is hollowed alder bottom and the top.
      > > - The top can be opened just like our good old GL.
      > > - FX bridge and XS-trem are available.
      > > - Two color options just like GL, black or white.
      > > - Folding leg rest
      > > - EMG style active pickups
      > >
      > > I'm not allowed to share the photos at the moment, but the guitar
      > > looks just like our beloved GL.
      > >
      > > Again, it will be available in eBay store in few days. All the guitars
      > > are going throught final QC at the moment. Some are already ready for
      > > shipping.
      > >
      > > Cheers!!!
      > >
      > > jaemin
      > >

      > > No virus found in this message.

    • Dave Rowe
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 7, 2011
        Great to see the torch getting picked up! That said, I hope JCustom does
        something more and new with it. It's a wide open field. Just putting out
        copies of 25 year old instrument designs is great for those who've been
        longing to own one, but actually moving the art forward is important as
        well. I hope they don't miss that opportunity.
        --
        Dave Rowe
        Folk Music from Maine,

        www.daverowemusic.com
        www.squidjiggers.com

        Exclusive Representation:
        Vactionland Music
        www.vlandmusic.com
        TF 866-655-7171

        On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Jaemin Choi <choija@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Sorry, I should have used the word, "GLB" instead of "GL". I totally
        > forgot about GLB. Still GLB is not hollowed(chambered), though.
        >

        > --- In steinberger_world@yahoogroups.com, jon <jon@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > How can anyone call a wooden guitar a "GL copy"?!? Perhaps in shape, but
        > > not in technology.
        > >
        > > Jon
        > >
        > > On 11/7/2011 9:34 AM, Jaemin Choi wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I'm happy to report to the group that JCustom is launching a copy of
        > GL.
        > > > It will be available on his eBay store(Headlessresearch) in few days.
        > > > This GL copy is the part of JCustom's projects to bring back the
        > > > Steinberger guitar lines. GM style and Klein style will be followed,
        > > > but no date or timing is know yet. T-trem and 12 string bridge are
        > > > also in the project list.
        > > >
        > > > As many can predict, it is not fully graphited through neck version.
        > > >
        > > > Here is few details that I know so far.
        > > > - The neck is graphite neck from Moses. 4 screws just like MusicYo GLB.
        > > > - Body is hollowed alder bottom and the top.
        > > > - The top can be opened just like our good old GL.
        > > > - FX bridge and XS-trem are available.
        > > > - Two color options just like GL, black or white.
        > > > - Folding leg rest
        > > > - EMG style active pickups
        > > >
        > > > I'm not allowed to share the photos at the moment, but the guitar
        > > > looks just like our beloved GL.
        > > >
        > > > Again, it will be available in eBay store in few days. All the guitars
        > > > are going throught final QC at the moment. Some are already ready for
        > > > shipping.
        > > >
        > > > Cheers!!!
        > > >
        > > > jaemin
        > > >

        > > > No virus found in this message.
        > 11/06/11

      • andyyak
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 8, 2011
          > Sorry, I should have used the word, "GLB" instead of "GL". I
          > totally forgot about GLB. Still GLB is not hollowed(chambered),
          > though.

          I'd be concerned about balance, sustain and tone with a chambered body.

          The original blend composite is dense. So even though there's a body cavity the overall mass of the guitar is still substantial. They didn't make it two piece specifically for weight; that was the only way Ned could design it for more simplified and economical production. But they did use less material to control overall mass. Testing one piece construction came later (including a full sized neck through M series) but the higher costs always far outweighed any potential benefits. The early Brian Moore MC/1 guitars (Moore was Ned's right hand man in Newburgh) followed this thinking through a little more.

          When MusicYo was developing the GLB they tried some other woods, but gravitated towards maple since it's more dense. I also recommended that for some of the sonic qualities as well - including attack and clarity. Plus Ned seems to have an affinity for it so it seemed appropriate. I also pressed them to use the GLB designation (B for bolt-on) so there would be less confusion down the road.

          Ned was not involved in developing the GLB. At first he was concerned about lateral shift as the heel sides are shorter than a strat type body. He indicated that body design wasn't intended for a bolt-on configuration. I don't think history hasn't shown a huge problem with this though. He was already thinking about a slightly larger, asymmetrical small bodied instrument when the GLB came out, and those ideas gelled into the Synapse.

          Not saying that this will sound bad, as we'll know for sure shortly. Just that instrument design can be a subtle balance of many factors.

          Andy Y.
        • desertairhead
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 8, 2011
            Agreed. Definitely hope he did some tests first as my custom hollow "glb" with korina body has minimal sustain and anemic sound. But it sure is light.

            --- In steinberger_world@yahoogroups.com, "andyyak" <andyyak@...> wrote:

            > > Sorry, I should have used the word, "GLB" instead of "GL". I
            > > totally forgot about GLB. Still GLB is not hollowed(chambered),
            > > though.
            >

            > I'd be concerned about balance, sustain and tone with a chambered body.
            >
            > The original blend composite is dense. So even though there's a body cavity the overall mass of the guitar is still substantial. They didn't make it two piece specifically for weight; that was the only way Ned could design it for more simplified and economical production. But they did use less material to control overall mass. Testing one piece construction came later (including a full sized neck through M series) but the higher costs always far outweighed any potential benefits. The early Brian Moore MC/1 guitars (Moore was Ned's right hand man in Newburgh) followed this thinking through a little more.
            >
            > When MusicYo was developing the GLB they tried some other woods, but gravitated towards maple since it's more dense. I also recommended that for some of the sonic qualities as well - including attack and clarity. Plus Ned seems to have an affinity for it so it seemed appropriate. I also pressed them to use the GLB designation (B for bolt-on) so there would be less confusion down the road.
            >
            > Ned was not involved in developing the GLB. At first he was concerned about lateral shift as the heel sides are shorter than a strat type body. He indicated that body design wasn't intended for a bolt-on configuration. I don't think history hasn't shown a huge problem with this though. He was already thinking about a slightly larger, asymmetrical small bodied instrument when the GLB came out, and those ideas gelled into the Synapse.
            >
            > Not saying that this will sound bad, as we'll know for sure shortly. Just that instrument design can be a subtle balance of many factors.
            >
            > Andy Y.

          • francisco soledad
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 8, 2011
              > > > This GL copy is the part of JCustom's projects to bring back the
              > > > Steinberger guitar lines. GM style and Klein style will be followed,
              > > > but no date or timing is know yet.

              It seems like Im just a step ahead:

              Body: Mahogany/Caoba con camaras de resonancia " chambered "
              Tapa : Flame Maple Arce rizado
              Neck : Moses de grafito, con 24 trastes, radio de " 16 " y sistema para fijación de cuerdas de doble bola
              Bridge : JCustom XS Trem
              Pickups : Seymour Duncan JB en el puente y Jazz en el mástil con sistema de " split coil "

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/26186266@N03/sets/72157627670279685/

              http://www.lues.es/?page_id=1208
            • andyyak
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 8, 2011
                > Agreed. Definitely hope he did some tests first as my custom
                > hollow "glb" with korina body has minimal sustain and anemic
                > sound. But it sure is light.

                Another factor is stiffness. When you hollow out the body you're basically severing all those fibers that make up the instrument. on a GLB type body I suspect you're left with very little material running directly between the neck and the bridge. On a larger full bodied instrument the amount of routing isn't as great and tends towards the edges of the body. Woods like korina, ash & alder are medium to medium-light density to begin with.

                Parker Flys can be ultra light because they are engineered for stiffness to compensate. Natural materials are less forgiving due to the inherent variations. If it were me and chambering was important, I'd consider using a pressed, impregnated resin wood product to help in this regard:

                http://www.rutply.com/products/dymondwood.html

                I think even Moses makes a similar material, as they use it for their upgraded fingerboards. That would help with both stiffness and density. Since you're not using much (nor wasting much with body cutouts) the cost difference might not be that great.

                Andy
              • ikadmium
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 17, 2011
                  --- In steinberger_world@yahoogroups.com, "Jaemin Choi" <choija@...> wrote:

                  > - Folding leg rest

                  Will you also be selling leg rests separately?