Trinu Thomas

  • Renee George
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2007

      hey everyone,
      I am cutting and pasting a request that has been sent out from the Marthoma church on behalf of a young woman named Trinu--(St. Stephens' Marthoma in NJ)...I do not know details of what we can actually physically do to help, or where to get information on that, but I'm working on it (I'll be contacting someone from that church)...please read the following..& if anyone has information on how we can help, please let all of us know!

      You might have heard about Trinu Thomas, a member of St Stephens Marthoma church, who has a rare form of Leukemia. She is a married 26 year old living in New Jersey. She needs a stem cell transplant to survive. A donor needs to be found as soon as possible, so we need to do what we can. We are trying to arrange donor drives at every marthoma church in the USA, and then reach out to other denominational churches. Only people from South Asian origin can be possible matches for this.

      Finding a donor is very difficult in our origin, because the chances are 1 in 20,000. This is because although many South Asians live in the USA, the numbers of South Asians registered in the national marrow donor program are very minimal. We ask that we all do what we can and register for this drive. Please keep in mind that these result will not only possibly save Trinu’s life, but it will possibly be for future South Asian cancer patients as well. Chances are that everyone knows someone who has suffered or even survived a form of cancer. That pain and agony that a family has to experience is something that no one should go through. Please do not wait until this happens to your family to take action and register, the time is now. If this was your son, daughter, family member or friend you would also request all to register.

      The registration process is harmless. It is simply a cotton swab test, where a saliva sample is taken from your mouth. It should be made clear that there is no blood taken during the registration process. If you are found to be a match, then all you need to do is make a small blood donation.

      This is why we are calling for all South Asians in between the ages of 18-60 to register as a bone marrow donor. If you have donated before, then you are already on the list, but you can tell others to register.

      Remember there is no blood taken at all during the registration process. There is no surgery even if you’re a match, the whole process is done via bloodwork. Let's join together and try our best to save lives.

      Please find it in your heart to conduct a drive at your church.

      Important Facts:

      1)      There will be no blood taken during the registration process, which is Sunday’s drive.

      2)      If you are found to be a match for someone, you only simply need to donate blood.

      3)      Only South Asians can be possible matches for other south Asians. South Asians are anyone from Indian, Pakistani and Bangladesh origin.

      4)      Possibility of match is 1 in 20,000

      5)      There are currently over 5 Million donors in the national bone marrow donor list, but only a few thousand of those are South Asians.

      6)      Our main motivation and concern is to possibly save Trinu’s life, but please know that this is to possibly save others who are in need of a stem cell match.

      7)      During the drive for baby Ashish last year, there were 5 matches found but none of them came forward when they were called. This is because when you are notified you are a match for someone; they will not say who you are a match for. They had to look for alternative treatments for Ashish.

      8)      All who are 18-60, please visit the donor registration area before leaving church. We won’t compel anyone to register, just want everyone to know how serious this is. This is a duty we have to help our fellow brothers and sisters in need.

      9)      If you already registered in a previous drive, you do not need to register again. Please don’t think you cannot help though, encourage your friends/family/ etc to come and register at our drive or another one.

      10)   We all must know at least 1 person who struggled with cancer. It’s something no person or family should experience. Let’s do all we can to save our brothers and sisters in need.

      11)   Please pray for Trinu and her husband Prasanth.

      Get word out to the Indian community guys…flyer with contact info is attached to this email....... ..thanks in advance.

      "The disciples, each according to his ability, decided to provide help for the brothers living in Judea."
      -- Acts 11:29

      "...like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud-pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

      Your friends are close to you.  Keep them that way.
    • Retty George
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2007
        please get the dets and i will happily register for the drive.
        Retty

        Renee George <renz28@...> wrote:

[...]

        TV dinner still cooling?