No more H2O!!

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2008
      New announcement:

      >From the President, Patrick Anderson:

      Earlier this year, I was asked by several people in the waterbearing
      community to examine the various laws of states and countries related
      waterbearing as an organized and official activity of the SCA, Inc.
      Various states have informed officers of the SCA, Inc. that while our
      activity does not directly violate the food codes or health
      regulations
      of their states, if there were to be an outbreak of illness, the SCA,
      Inc. could be held liable for that outbreak. Several health care
      professionals and attorneys have reviewed this topic and agree with
      this
      assessment.

      I was asked to examine the best way to both ensure a safe fighting
      environment for our fighters, and to comply with the various state and
      country laws. The relevant laws vary from state by state, county by
      county and country by country. I determined that the best way to do
      this
      would be to make "waterbearing" unofficial and unsanctioned by the
      SCA,
      Inc. and proposed this change to the Board. The only other option
      would
      be to regulate waterbearing, and to regulate it such that it follows
      the
      various food safety codes of the various states and countries the SCA
      participates in. This would be unwieldy, impractical and expensive for
      the SCA to do. Further, it is likely that waterbearers would not be
      able
      to continue to serve our fighters using any of the current methods of
      waterbearing.

      The proposal put before the membership for comment would stop
      waterbearing by any SCA branch or other official group. The SCA would
      not have an office of waterbearer at any level. Marshals would still
      be
      permitted to allow waterbearers on the field, but any waterbearing
      must
      not be done by any officially sanctioned or regulated groups of the
      SCA.
      Households are welcome to provide water to fighters, as are unofficial
      and unrecognized "guilds". This does not bar groups from putting out
      the
      "serve yourself water coolers" at events. (In my Kingdom they are
      usually the big orange cylinders.)

      The Board and Corporate officers understand that many people have
      spent
      time waterbearing within the official framework, and now hope that you
      continue to volunteer unofficially. This proposal has been brought to
      enable fighters to continue to have a waterbearing service provided to
      them, without the extremely strict governance that official
      waterbearing
      will require.

      The actual text of the proposed rule is below. This rule has not yet
      been approved by the Board, and is being sent out for comment here.
      The
      Directors request comments from the membership regarding this proposed
      revision no later than October 1st, 2008. Please send them to:
      Corpora Revision
      SCA Inc.
      Box 360789
      Milpitas CA, 95036
      email: comments@...

      Thank you for commenting.

      Patrick Anderson
      President, Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.

      Proposed language to be added to Corpora:
      The activity of providing beverages to combatants and spectators at
      SCA
      Combat activities is not regulated, warranted, organized, controlled,
      or
      sanctioned by the SCA, Inc. or any affiliate or subsidiary entity. All
      warrants, authorizations, or other formal recognition of this activity
      are by publication of this change revoked. This document does not
      either
      address or restrict such volunteer activity or the methods by which it
      occurs.
      --
      Patrick Anderson
      President
      Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
      president@...
      952-412-4112
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17, 2008
        Just wonderful.

        I hope somebody keeps statistics on how many fighters keel over from
        dehydration at Pennsic because we're afraid Big Brother is going to
        get us.

        Cass =(

      • C. E. Hughes
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23, 2008
          Just water your friends..... and remember, we're all friends.