Response to the St. Carol Digest

  • Sofya Chyudskaya Smolyanina
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9 6:46 AM
      There seems to be some confusion regarding the invitation to Wurm Wald's
      shire meeting tonight. Yes, Roana has asked within our shire for people to
      come so we can discuss the proposed merger. Kendrick has kindly extended
      this invitation to people of St. Carol. However, if I understand correctly,
      tonight's meeting is not designed to begin formal discussion between both
      groups just yet -- but rather, beginning to bring the issue to public
      discussion chiefly among those members of Wurm Wald who have not yet heard
      the arguments and expressed their opinions yet.

      It will definitely be helpful to have members of St. Carol present to share
      St. Carol's perspective, but I think we are still only just beginning to
      discuss the issue. Tonight will be the first time Wurm Wald will hold this
      discussion among its own members at an official shire meeting. It is NOT
      meant to be taken as an official collaborative discussion between both
      groups -- which may still happen in the future, but we're a long way from
      that yet.

      Again, you are all always welcome to attend our meeting. I just wanted to
      clarify that this is by no means an official Wurm Wald / St. Carol joint
      meeting. If / When we reach that point, I'm guessing that everyone in both
      groups will get a lot more advance notice, and it will take place in a
      neutral geographic middle ground.

      For now, however, please keep discussing the issue. The people in Wurm Wald
      who have argued in favor of a merger are by no means attempting to
      resurrect a barony, but considering the possibility of creating something
      new and wonderful with our neighbors. We would be honored if St. Carol
      played an active and equal role in this dream.

      In Service,

      Sofya Chyudskaya Smolyanina
      Deputy Wurm Wald Seneschal

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10 8:20 AM
        Greetings Sofya....and all.

        Please understand that my reply to the discussion was that of a "grumpy
        olde pharte"..... and age and grumpiness seem to be catching up with me.

        I believe the strength of our two groups lies in our abilities to work
        together. At the same time I feel the independence of the two groups to
        work to meet the special needs of our individual membership is critical
        to our potential growth. If we wish to work towards a formal "merging"
        of the two groups I would suggest the idea of working independently for
        scheduling the regular meetings and activities (yet we all know that
        anyone is welcome in either group at any time) and drawing on the
        strengths of the two groups membership for special activities or larger
        events.

        I would not mind having a Baronial "presence" in the area. I have seen
        cantons come together regionally to form a "blanket" Barony. It is
        another thought for the future. I would suggest that if filling
        officers positions and maintaining activity levels is becoming an issue
        that look at the possibility of changing your group from a shire to a
        college. The demands are set for fluctuations in activity and
        membership. It might lighten the load for some of your officers and
        make filling offices a little less overwhelming. I believe there are
        still distinctions between colleges and shires. It might prove to be
        the easy route at the moment. I honestly feel you have enough
        responsible, experienced members in your area to fill the minimum
        required offices.

        I guess since this is not a new topic to me, and some of us have been
        through similar discussions in the past, that many of the topics to
        discuss will be similar to those in the past. I guess what I really
        need is an idea of what might be proposed so that I am not making
        assumptions that are unfounded. The operations and basic needs of a
        group are really pretty standard. The expectations and activity levels
        are what makes each group unique.

        Carlo