Fw: [Mid] Lawsuit Announcement

  • Jeremy Vail
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2012
      We need to act on this ASAP.

      Kendrick.

      --- On Sun, 2/5/12, Ron Sargent <Thorvaldr@...> wrote:

      From: Ron Sargent <Thorvaldr@...>
      Subject: [Mid] Lawsuit Announcement
      To: sca-middle@...
      Date: Sunday, February 5, 2012, 11:37 AM

      Greetings to the Populace of the Midrealm,

      Early yesterday afternoon, the Royalty of the Known World and their respective Kingdom Officers were contacted by the Board of Directors (BOD) of the SCA, Inc., to inform Us that ongoing litigation involving the SCA for many years has finally been settled. This is a good thing, as We know you can all appreciate. To many of us who have enjoyed participating in the SCA, the BOD has been nothing more than an invisible background to our daily lives. We deeply appreciate the hard work that these members have dedicated to dealing with this lawsuit.

      The downside of this news is that the Society coffers are essentially empty and in need of significant financial support to help completely settle the matter. It is time for all of us to come to the aid of the Society that we love. The monies needed to allow the SCA to comply with the terms of the settlement are well over a million dollars. In order to meet this goal, the BOD is requiring that each Kingdom write a check equaling at minimum 18% of the cashable assets held in total by the Kingdom’s coffers. This total includes all assets held by all groups in each Kingdom. The BOD needs to collect and make available all funds within 10 days, so we must work quickly.

      Your Royal family has been busy discussing the methods to gather these funds with Our Curia Regis, Peers of the Realm, and with many of the Groups in the Midrealm already. We are a large and bountiful kingdom, and We know that each and every one of you will back Us fully in doing everything We must do to collect these funds for the sake of our Society. We will do Our best to keep lines of communication open so that We can pass on information as We receive it.

      The BOD has posted additional information and background for all the populace of the Known World to read and understand. Please go to:
      http://www.sca.org/BOD/announcements/settlement.html

      Thank you all for your continued support and understanding during this time.

      Your Royal Family,

      TRM’s EikBrandr II and Runa II

      TRH’s Savaric and Julianna

    • Jeri Matteson-Hughes
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2012
        And we will, in good time.

        I expect, therefore, to receive a detailed message from my superiors that clearly explains the procedure/method to correctly calculate the amount we are to render from our account and to whom, specifically, it should be forwarded.

        Charleston IL 61920

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2012
          After a quick read through of the PDF at the associated link I only find
          one question that affects the local group.

          The wording clearly states that all funds will be reimbursed to each
          Kingdom if the suit against the insurance carries is successful. There
          is no wording that states that each Kingdom is then required to return
          the associated fees to each individual branch that has contributed from
          their assets.

          While it is in the best interest of the SCA as a whole that we meet our
          assessed percentage of this incurred debt, I would like some assurance
          from our Kingdom officers intend to return the assessed funds to the
          individual branches of the corporation.

          If we have the information from the Kingdom would you provide the
          details please. If not, could this inquiry be made from the appropriate
          Kingdom offices?

          If, on the other hand, I missed this information/detail would someone
          let me know where it can be found.

          In service,

          Carlo

          On 2/5/2012 2:49 PM, Jeremy Vail wrote:

          > We need to act on this ASAP.
          >
          > Kendrick.
          >
          > --- On Sun, 2/5/12, Ron Sargent <Thorvaldr@...
          > <mailto:Thorvaldr%40wowway.com>> wrote:
          >
          > From: Ron Sargent <Thorvaldr@... <mailto:Thorvaldr%40wowway.com>>
          > Subject: [Mid] Lawsuit Announcement
          > To: sca-middle@... <mailto:sca-middle%40midrealm.org>
          > Date: Sunday, February 5, 2012, 11:37 AM
          >
          > Greetings to the Populace of the Midrealm,
          >
          > Early yesterday afternoon, the Royalty of the Known World and their
          > respective Kingdom Officers were contacted by the Board of Directors
          > (BOD) of the SCA, Inc., to inform Us that ongoing litigation involving
          > the SCA for many years has finally been settled. This is a good thing,
          > as We know you can all appreciate. To many of us who have enjoyed
          > participating in the SCA, the BOD has been nothing more than an
          > invisible background to our daily lives. We deeply appreciate the hard
          > work that these members have dedicated to dealing with this lawsuit.
          >
          > The downside of this news is that the Society coffers are essentially
          > empty and in need of significant financial support to help completely
          > settle the matter. It is time for all of us to come to the aid of the
          > Society that we love. The monies needed to allow the SCA to comply
          > with the terms of the settlement are well over a million dollars. In
          > order to meet this goal, the BOD is requiring that each Kingdom write
          > a check equaling at minimum 18% of the cashable assets held in total
          > by the Kingdom’s coffers. This total includes all assets held by all
          > groups in each Kingdom. The BOD needs to collect and make available
          > all funds within 10 days, so we must work quickly.
          >
          > Your Royal family has been busy discussing the methods to gather these
          > funds with Our Curia Regis, Peers of the Realm, and with many of the
          > Groups in the Midrealm already. We are a large and bountiful kingdom,
          > and We know that each and every one of you will back Us fully in doing
          > everything We must do to collect these funds for the sake of our
          > Society. We will do Our best to keep lines of communication open so
          > that We can pass on information as We receive it.
          >
          > The BOD has posted additional information and background for all the
          > populace of the Known World to read and understand. Please go to:
          > http://www.sca.org/BOD/announcements/settlement.html
          >
          > Thank you all for your continued support and understanding during this
          > time.
          >
          > Your Royal Family,
          >
          > TRM’s EikBrandr II and Runa II
          >
          > TRH’s Savaric and Julianna

        • Caitriona MacDhonnachaidh
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2012
            I have forwarded the question on to KSen Thorvald.
            I'll let you know when I hear something.

            Caitriona, Midlands

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2012
              From the FAQ, this is what I saw:
              Will the SCA branches that are contributing to the settlement get their money back if the SCA wins the lawsuit against the insurance company?
                  Absolutely! If the SCA prevails in its lawsuit against the non-paying insurance carrier, any funds recovered will be distributed to the kingdoms, on a pro rata basis, after payment of any remaining legal fees.
              _________________________________

              So, that being said, it looks like "yes, but, perhaps not the full amount that was donated."  And, if you read in the FAQ, each Kingdom will be invoiced.  Additionally, in the SCA Kingdom of the Middle FaceBook page, the KExchequer has stated she will be at Val Day with a receipt book.  Obviously each group's bank records will support whatever donation the group makes.

              If I hear anything additional from Thorvald, I will pass it on.

              Respectfully submitted,

              Caitriona, Midlands

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6, 2012
                I got somewhat jumpy with the "10 days" comment thrown into that letter. Reading further I see that it is 10 days from when the info comes down the line.

                That said, Caitriona just announced that the Kingdom Exchequer will be at Val-Day this weekend accepting checks. We are going to that event so I would like to take ours to deliver then.

                Kendrick

                P.S. I find it interesting that we are, for the first time in my SCA life, having to "pay our taxes" to the King to pay for a long fought battle. I am by no means grumbling here, just finding the Medieval-ness in the moment.