Re: Midlands A&S Opportunity

  • twilight_bewitching
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2010
      I have to work Sunday, but I am off Thursday, Friday, and Saturday so any of those days would work for me.
    • twilight_bewitching
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 4, 2010
        What all does "putting in a bid" require?

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 4, 2010
          > What all does "putting in a bid" require?

          Someone correct me if I am wrong:

          We would need to approve doing it as a group first. Decide a budget and what we wanted to offer for the event (feast or no feast for example). Then find a site and figure out what fees we would have to charge. Once we have that it would get sent to whomever, for approval. For Regional A&S I am assuming the Regional Minister of Arts and Sciences and Regional Senschal.

          For a group to run a non-regional or Kingdom event it's a bit easier because we can make all the decisions locally and don't have to approve anything outside the group. As long as we don't conflict with another group within 100 miles on the same day.

          Kendrick
        • Caitriona MacDhonnachaidh
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 8, 2010
            Hi Everyone,
            Your lurking regional seneschal here...
            1.  You need an event steward and support staff.

            2.  You need a *low cost* site.  I'm not concerned about the site fee for the
            participants.  I don't want your group to take a financial bath on an event.
            That being said, A&S attendance has been... not what it used to be... the past
            several years.  Some place that will allow brewing & vintning would be most
            welcome, but that judging can happen off site.  I would suggest wrapping a low
            cost event around the A&S Faire, maybe you can work with Lord Orry to get some
            classes scheduled, and maybe a tournament.  Consider attendance to be... maybe
            60 people.  Please try to have adequate space to host up to 150.

            3.  You need a separate tally room for all the paperwork to happen.

            4.  In the bid, state what will happen at the event, if the A&S is part of a
            larger event, or the whole event.

            5.  Your group approves the event.

            6.  You contact Lord Orry and he accepts or declines the offer.  I (the regional
            seneschal) have no say in this process.

            A couple notes:
            Try to look at late March through mid-April for an event date.  February is too
            early for the procrastinating artisans like me. :-D May is too late.

            Ravenslake is holding an event March 5.
            Swordcliff on March 26.
            Illiton April 9.
            Baile na Scolairi April 30.

            Also, I am about to issue a challenge to the populace of the Midlands for a
            commitment to participate in A&S.  Hopefully that will help move people to
            action.
            Let me know if you have questions or need help.
            Caitriona
            618.830.2342

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 15, 2010
              Greetings,

              I was contacted by the Regional MoAS asking if we were going to put in a bid for Regional A&S. I replied that we are interested but have as of yet, been unable to have a meeting to discuss it.

              If we can, we need to have a meeting this week(end).

              I looked into the Demar building in Peterson Park, Mattoon. It's $150 and they will require an insurance certificate listing them which would be another $50. I may try to talk them out of requiring the additionally insured part. They also won't allow alcohol so we would need to have a satellite site for that.

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 18, 2010
                At the request of Kendrick, I have checked into the costs of hosting
                this activity at EIU University Union. This is the initial information
                and proposal.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 18, 2010
                  Thanks Carlo!

                  Now that we have a proposal we can get fine tuned, are there any objections to the group putting in the bid?

                  Please give any commentary in the next few days.

                  Thanks,
                  Kendrick

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 18, 2010
                    Dates seem to be narrowing. It has been pointed out to me that the
                    April 16 is Spring Coronation and April 23 is Easter Weekend and the
                    Union will be closed. With the 9th & 30th having Illinois events that
                    moves us back to April 2 if the facilities are available.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 18, 2010
                      Calendar information does not look as good as we had thought.

                      March 5 Ravenslake Event
                      12 -19 Spring Break at EIU
                      26 Swordcliff

                      April 2 OPEN
                      9 Illaton
                      16 Coronation
                      23 Easter Weekend
                      30 Baile

                      I will check to see if the rooms are available for that weekend.