What is in a name...

  • twilight_bewitching
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
      I was wanting to pick out a name before I signed up for my membership.

      So I was thinking of the name Sybil. The name has existed since the middle ages and its meaning is fortune teller. But I can't think of what would be a good 2nd part. What do you think? Any suggestions, is Sybil a very common name in the SCA?
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
        The name is perfectly appropriate; Sybil is a great name.
        FYI One of the first people I met in the SCA 35 yrs ago was named Sybil
        the Sinister (because she was left handed).

        Jeri / J M Hughes

        On 10/13/10 10:18 AM, twilight_bewitching wrote:

        > I was wanting to pick out a name before I signed up for my membership.
        >
        > So I was thinking of the name Sybil. The name has existed since the
        > middle ages and its meaning is fortune teller. But I can't think of
        > what would be a good 2nd part. What do you think? Any suggestions, is
        > Sybil a very common name in the SCA?

      • Deborah Murphy Kerr
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
          Sybil is a very fine name. It is Greek in origin and ancient, which means
          the name, or a variation of it, will be found in multiple countries and
          periods. Good choice! The cool thing about your SCA name is that you don't
          have to write it in stone. Some people choose to have more than one persona
          and will have more than one name by which they are known, depending on how
          they are dressed at an event, (although only one name goes on a membership
          card.) Sometimes a person is in the SCA for years and suddenly decides to
          change his or her name for whatever reason. Everyone tends to comply with
          these changes as our feeble memories permit. Nicknames tend to stick,
          though.

          Medb <--- Whose name is easy to pronounce until you've seen it spelled!

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
            I was in for a while before I picked a name but, as Medb pointed out, I was cautioned not to take too long or you'll end up being "given" a name. There are some good stories about that!

            I started as Kendrick the Tinker and have since changed it to Kendrick Cameron. As far as the Registering(TM) the name you are allowed a primary and I know at least one secondary name. As was mentioned, some people like two different cultures or time periods and will register different names for each persona. I'm not talented enough to do that :)

            Olaf has the books with documented names for a few time/places.

            http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/names.html
            is a good page to start poking around.

            I'd suggest trying on a name and using it a while before you try to register it though (and you can't register until you're a member if I remember correctly) That way if you decide it doesn't fit you it's easier to change.