Re: Hello World!

  • twilight_bewitching
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2010
      My only question at this point is do you wear period clothing to the general meetings? If so, is there any local place for purchasing these clothes or patterns to make them? I can't sew worth a hoot, but I could probably talk one of my sisters into helping me out in that regard or pay someone to sew the dress. Any help in that regard would be appreciated.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1 6:40 AM
        Greetings,

        Our meetings are very informal at this point in time. Many of our
        regular members are, or have been, officers at a variety of levels in
        the SCA. Kendrick and Terra (and the boys) have been gracious enough
        to open their home and workshop in Effingham for a variety of
        activities. These are usually casual.- Armouring for fencing. youth
        combat and the heavy lists are frequent shop activities and the forge is
        usually running and help is available there also. Sewing, needle work
        and other projects (or a good book and conversation) usually occupy the
        time in the house. Sometimes a pot luck dinner will follow and gaming
        may occupy the evening.

        Dress for these activities is up to the individuals..... most often
        comfortable clothes from the present or past. We do have loaner items
        that we can help you with to get you started. Simple clothes and
        patterns are available through a number of our members. Traveling to
        events is when you will need the clothes, feast ware and simple
        "accoutrement" for comfort (chair, snacks, projects). We can help you
        with most of that. You will find you interests may well lead you to a
        time or place that will date your apparel.... or you may find that the
        apparel that strikes you "minds eye"leads you to a time and place.

        We have a demo coming up in Effingham. We will most likely meet prior
        to that and we can talk to see what you might need if you can join us
        for that activity. Give yourself some time to take in the many aspects
        of the SCA. There is great diversity but with the size of our group, we
        frequently need to seek out practitioners in some arts & crafts. We do
        have a good pool of experienced members to help.

        Relax and take things in. This will all come to you as you choose you
        activity levels and interests.

        Carlo

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 15 4:25 PM
          The travelers have returned. We should set up a post-war debriefing!

          Kendrick
        • Deborah Murphy Kerr
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15 4:34 PM
            So you survived the monsoons? I heard there was "weather" at War this year.
            Many who camped further down the hill were flooded out, they said. How was
            it out on the Serengeti?

            Medb

            The travelers have returned. We should set up a post-war debriefing!