Re: [stcarol] Maidens, rattan ect.

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
      Good Day Robert,

      Nice to hear from you. I have, in the past, tried to explain that our
      local SCA group is a a very low point in activity. This is due to the
      fact that our membership has dropped to a low point in our history. We
      have lost our student base, and with that we have lost access to the
      University facilities that we had used for meetings and group
      activities. Those of us that are left are not able to provide a "full
      SCA experience". We, too, must travel to weekend events to "do" the SCA-
      it has not been within the scope of our current group hold organized
      activities for arts, sciences and fighting interests. This is a
      situation that we, locally, are aware of. We have made this clear to all
      of the appropriate officers within the reporting structure of the SCA.
      What information we have about our very limited activities appears right
      here- on this site. We do not limit participation, we do not have any
      other methods to use for communicating group activities.

      I am not saying that our little group is short on information for your
      individual interests. I am simply saying that we are too small to turn
      our meetings and activities into mini-events. We have seasoned members
      with a variety variety of skills and interests. We have current and past
      Regional and Kingdom officers who have contact information for regional
      activities if we do not have local resources. We have experienced
      artisans who will help you develop your individual interests or who will
      help you locate other resource contacts if we do not have the skill-sets
      that interest you individually.

      I believe I had mentioned that the group in Champaign is re-establishing
      its membership following a large drop in numbers. They are currently
      holding regular meetings and group activities in fighting and arts and
      sciences activities. Our local members take advantage of these
      activities. If you are looking for group activities, beyond individual
      resources, this is the only suggestion I can offer. I would suggest you
      contact the Wurmwald group through the SCA contacts. This would allow
      you to access their activity calendar and see what resources they might
      provide to you beyond St. Carols activities.

      The ":full SCA experience" for most of us, locally, must be experienced
      through attending events. If you do not have access to the SCA calendar
      of events it can be found at SCA.org and then follow the links to the
      Middle Kingdom and the calendar of events for the Kingdom. SCA
      activities are available to us, just not on our doorstep. Not all of us
      are fortunate enough to live in an area where the SCA population can
      support all aspects of the SCA- unfortunately this is our situation.
      Time may change that.

      After reviewing the group mail list, this is the first communication I
      find from you- I may have lost something but my current log goes back to
      03/09. If you will share your areas of interest, I will be more than
      glad to see what we can do to help.

      Charles Hughes
      Know in our society as, Baron Master Carlo dalla Casa, Esq.