Maidens, rattan ect.

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
      I have commented that I thought that St. Carol could probably donate a sword length of rattan for a Div. 3 tourney prize for Maidens. I meant to ask the group about that last night and forgot, so I throw it out here. Is that acceptable to everyone?

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
        I would support the idea.

        I know we had some staves in storage but I don't know if the quality is
        suitable. It might be that we could "harvest" two or three good lengths
        from the stock that we have. I imagine finding sword lengths would be
        possible... I don't remember the quality of what we have well enough to
        know if we could manage pole arm lengths or not. Finding two sword
        lengths should be no problem.

        Carlo

        kendrick_the_tinker wrote:

        > I have commented that I thought that St. Carol could probably donate a
        > sword length of rattan for a Div. 3 tourney prize for Maidens. I meant
        > to ask the group about that last night and forgot, so I throw it out
        > here. Is that acceptable to everyone?

      • Robert Steele
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
          ya know.. if I knew the cost or materials personally, I'd make it myself
          since I have a lot of time on my hand, but no one gives me any real
          information, never get addresses for events or meetings, I'm still
          interested in getting involved with the SCA, but it doesn't seem interested
          in getting involved with me, so.. Any outreach on that really is
          appreciated. Just contact my private mail: Styles.Steele@...

          -Robert

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
            Good Day Robert,

            Nice to hear from you. I have, in the past, tried to explain that our
            local SCA group is a a very low point in activity. This is due to the
            fact that our membership has dropped to a low point in our history. We
            have lost our student base, and with that we have lost access to the
            University facilities that we had used for meetings and group
            activities. Those of us that are left are not able to provide a "full
            SCA experience". We, too, must travel to weekend events to "do" the SCA-
            it has not been within the scope of our current group hold organized
            activities for arts, sciences and fighting interests. This is a
            situation that we, locally, are aware of. We have made this clear to all
            of the appropriate officers within the reporting structure of the SCA.
            What information we have about our very limited activities appears right
            here- on this site. We do not limit participation, we do not have any
            other methods to use for communicating group activities.

            I am not saying that our little group is short on information for your
            individual interests. I am simply saying that we are too small to turn
            our meetings and activities into mini-events. We have seasoned members
            with a variety variety of skills and interests. We have current and past
            Regional and Kingdom officers who have contact information for regional
            activities if we do not have local resources. We have experienced
            artisans who will help you develop your individual interests or who will
            help you locate other resource contacts if we do not have the skill-sets
            that interest you individually.

            I believe I had mentioned that the group in Champaign is re-establishing
            its membership following a large drop in numbers. They are currently
            holding regular meetings and group activities in fighting and arts and
            sciences activities. Our local members take advantage of these
            activities. If you are looking for group activities, beyond individual
            resources, this is the only suggestion I can offer. I would suggest you
            contact the Wurmwald group through the SCA contacts. This would allow
            you to access their activity calendar and see what resources they might
            provide to you beyond St. Carols activities.

            The ":full SCA experience" for most of us, locally, must be experienced
            through attending events. If you do not have access to the SCA calendar
            of events it can be found at SCA.org and then follow the links to the
            Middle Kingdom and the calendar of events for the Kingdom. SCA
            activities are available to us, just not on our doorstep. Not all of us
            are fortunate enough to live in an area where the SCA population can
            support all aspects of the SCA- unfortunately this is our situation.
            Time may change that.

            After reviewing the group mail list, this is the first communication I
            find from you- I may have lost something but my current log goes back to
            03/09. If you will share your areas of interest, I will be more than
            glad to see what we can do to help.

            Charles Hughes
            Know in our society as, Baron Master Carlo dalla Casa, Esq.