OYEZ! Book hotel rooms now for Festival of Maidens

  • Anne McKinney
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2009
      Oyez, Oyez! For those of you who are planning to attend the 36th annual Festival of Maidens, we have a special and exciting event in store for you! The block of hotel rooms we have reserved with the Illini Union hotel will expire on the 12th, however, so if you are planning to reserve a hotel room overnight, your chances of geting a room will be greater if you can place your reservation in the next week. (Our event is competing with a basketball game for hotel reservations, so the availability of rooms beyond our block reservation is unguaranteed.)

      To reserve a room at the Illini Union, please reach them at www.union.uiuc.edu, iu-hotel@..., or 217-333-1241 and remember to ask for the "SCA block". Rooms there are $98-115/night. There is an additional block of rooms at La Quinta Inn at $76/night through January 9; call 217-356-4000 for more info.

      It's also not too late to pre-register online for your chance to win a drawing for a FREE 30-minute massage onsite! http://www.wurmwald.org/maidens.html
      Site Fee by January 15: $6 adult members / $9 non-members; $3 Children 6-12; children under 6 Free
      Pre-registration can also be paid via
      postal mail to Anne McKinney, 905 W. William, Champaign, IL 62821. Make
      checks payable to: SCA, Inc. Shire of Wurm Wald. Site fee after January 15: $8 adult members / $11 non-members; $4 Children 6-12; children under 6 Free

      Event Highlights:

      Site opens: 8 AM

      Court: 5:30 PM

      Dance Ball and Dessert Revel: 7:00-11:00 PM

      Cleanup: 11:00 PM - Midnight

      Costume Contest: It's a celebration of medieval women! Dress as your favorite maiden (or
      other female) from medieval literature or history (or herstory, if you
      prefer). Prizes will be awarded for best representation of a specific
      medieval woman, most authentic costume, and best comic relief entry.
      The three winners will be determined during the evening ball. Men are
      also encouraged to participate!

      Combat: various tournaments and lists for armored, rapier, youth, and cut & thrust

      A&S: Craftspersons' Faire, "History Mysteries", and classes on a wide variety of topics!

      Merchants, Court, and Dancing--Oh My! ...A bardic circle to boot! And, for those who have seen 21 years in this lifetime, the evening ball and dessert revel will be accompanied by a cash bar. Hoobah! (And another valid reason to book your hotel room onsite!)

      Please see our website for more information: http://www.wurmwald.org/maidens.html (This site is still being updated; check back or contact the autocrat for further details missing from the site.)
      Directions:
      From I-57 N: Take I-57 N to I-72 E. and follow the directions below.
      From I-72 E: Take I-72 into Champaign and stay on this road when it
      turns into University Ave. Turn Right onto 6th St. Turn Left onto Green
      St. The Illini Union will be on your Right; pull into the circle drive
      for temporary parking while you check in.
      From I-57 S: Take exit 237A to merge onto I-74 E. toward
      Indianapolis/Champaign. Take the Lincoln Ave. exit and follow the
      directions below.
      From I-74 W: Take the Lincoln Ave. exit. Turn Right onto Lincoln
      Ave. Turn Right onto Green St. The Illini Union will be on your Left;
      pull into the circle drive for temporary parking while you check in.We are also still seeking volunteers to assist with various one-hour shifts to make the event run more smoothly for everyone. And remember, volunteering = making new friends and reuniting with old ones = joy and popularity! Contact the autocrat for more information.
      Autocrat: Sofya Chyudskaya Smolyanina
      Anne McKinney, 905 W. William, Champaign, IL 62821; 217-306-6501
      mckinney.anne@...
      http://www.wurmwald.org/maidens.htmlApologies for cross-posting. Please forward to any interested parties as you see fit.