Re: Welcome to new to the are SCAdians and shall we do with ourselves this fall

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2008
      Greetings,

      I thought I would throw my welcome on the pile for the newcomers to
      the list! We live in Effingham so we aren't too far up the road from
      you guys. There is another SCAdian family we are friends with in
      Olney, too. They haven't been able to play for a little while,
      though. We'll have to get you guys all in touch.

      There has been discussion of us trying to hold a demo sometime in the
      near future. At the moment discussion has been slow because we've
      been short enough on people it would be hard to put together a good show.

      Maybe with more people in the area we can get some things rolling.

      Cheers and well met,
      Kendrick
    • lapalmer1969
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2008
        Good to meet you, we should all get together here soon and see what
        we can come up with. I originally started the SCA in NC, who is the
        person you know in NC, maybe we know them too.
        Luther

        --- In stcarol@yahoogroups.com, desiree wright <dnw826@...> wrote:

        > Hello! I don't know if I introduced myself when I joined recently,
        I have been very busy moving! I also live in Olney, but I'm from
        Charleston originally. I love making costumes and I love history. I
        have a friend back in NC where we lived that was big into SCA and I
        have wanted to join for awhile. I am a newbie, though, so be
        gentle. ;)

        > lapalmer1969 <lapalmer1969@...> wrote:
        Hi, thanks for the quick welcome. Here is a little about us:
        > I am known in the SCA as Lord Luther Josephus and my Lady is
        Ravenna
> [...]
        > medieval interest. The access to the fairgrounds is free to use
        > unless I book the banquet room which is $35 to use.
        > Our idea was to cook some food, host a fighter practice/A&S day in
        > the park, sort of a demo atmosphere and have some fliers and
        contact
        > infor available.
        > This was an idea we had been putting together before we found your
        > yahoo group and would very much want to include any local group
        that
        > we may be able to become part of. I do not see a huge cost to this
        > and am not soliciting money from your Shire, but if you want some
        > exposure and are wanting to have a meeting to discuss plans for
        your
        > group it would certainly be a venue to do that at.
        >
        > I have seen many things work and fail in the SCA in regards to
        trying
        > to get the SCA exposure and bring in new members, I`d be willing
        > give whatever time and assisatnce I can to helping out as would
        > Ravenna.The main thing is to spend money wisely, while some groups
        > have alot of funds, they do depleat fast if you are not careful.
        > I look forward to hearing and meeting everyone,
        > Luther
        > --- In stcarol@yahoogroups.com, J M Hughes <jmhughes@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello and welcome to "lapalmer1969" and his lady who have joined
        > our
        > > yahoo group for College of St Carol on the Moor!
        > >
        > > You are correct, sir, that Olney is just over the "official
        border"
        > for
        > > our shire, but, so what, we're glad to have you in the area. We
        > look
        > > forward to putting names and faces to your initial email.
        > >
        > > We're currently a smallish group, but the shire has been here
        for
        > 29
        > > years, founded this next month (Sept) back in 1979. And, we have
        > > long-established and now rather flush bank account that needs
        some
        > > brainstorming on how to put that $$ to good use (other than a
        > suggestion
        > > that we take a group vacation to Disney World. :) )
        > >
        > > Now that fall is upon us, when would we like to have a shire
        > meeting to
        > > mull over "where we're currently at", "what shall we
        do", "what's
        > the
        > > latest SCA news" and, of course, socialize?
        > >
        > > With our jobs and such, Sundays seem to have been the popular
        day
        > in the
        > > recent past. For my part, I'm in the middle of rehearsing a play
        > > (intensive 2 character show) which opens 9/19. so I am
        unavailable
        > for
        > > the last two Sundays of that month. Whatever day and date works
        > best
        > > for all, we also should consider if we want to meet in
        Charleston,
        > or in
        > > Effingham, and where in which town.
        > >
        > > What do others think? Chime in now as you may.
        > >
        > > Myrra (aka Jeri Hughes)

      • lapalmer1969
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 31, 2008
          Demos would definitely be the way to go to getting new people. Doing
          some demos around the group`s area would help everyone out if we can
          all support one another with our local areas. Having more people in
          my local area would help out around here.
          Luther

          --- In stcarol@yahoogroups.com, "Kendrick" <jervamp@...> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          >
          > I thought I would throw my welcome on the pile for the newcomers to
          > the list! We live in Effingham so we aren't too far up the road
          from
          > you guys. There is another SCAdian family we are friends with in
          > Olney, too. They haven't been able to play for a little while,
          > though. We'll have to get you guys all in touch.
          >
          > There has been discussion of us trying to hold a demo sometime in
          the
          > near future. At the moment discussion has been slow because we've
          > been short enough on people it would be hard to put together a good
          show.

          > Maybe with more people in the area we can get some things rolling.
          >
          > Cheers and well met,
          > Kendrick

        • desiree wright
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2008
            Michelle Jenkins (aka Sorcha or Lunachic). She's in Greenville. Not originally from there and took a break with her 2 kids.

            lapalmer1969 <lapalmer1969@...> wrote: Good to meet you, we should all get together here soon and see what