Re: [stcarol] Re: Welcome to new to the are SCAdians and shall we do with ourselves this fall

  • desiree wright
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2008
      Hello! I don't know if I introduced myself when I joined recently, I have been very busy moving! I also live in Olney, but I'm from Charleston originally. I love making costumes and I love history. I have a friend back in NC where we lived that was big into SCA and I have wanted to join for awhile. I am a newbie, though, so be gentle. ;)

      lapalmer1969 <lapalmer1969@...> wrote: Hi, thanks for the quick welcome. Here is a little about us:
      I am known in the SCA as Lord Luther Josephus and my Lady is Ravenna
      Storm. We were very active in the Kingdom of Atlantia, both being
      officers in our Barony, She was the Seneschal and I was Knights
      Marshal. I am a Squire to Duke Logan Ebonwoulfe and have been playing
      in the SCA for about 7 years now, all of that time heavy fighting.
      Ravenna has been in the SCA avout 5. I enjoy cooking, painting,
      woodworking and armor making. She paints and enjoys watching heavy
      fighting.
      We moved to Illinois back in April of this year and have looked for
      an active group to get involved in. Your Shire is the closest but I
      was unsure if it was still active or not. We would very much like to
      work to get our zip code here in Olney added to the Shire so we can
      become part of the group.

      As far as free time goes, our weekends are free most of the time. I
      make cakes and am a mechanic for a living. Ravenna is home during the
      days watching our 2 children and babysitting another child.
      As to some ideas for group productivity, we had been thinking about
      hosting a meet and greet here in our town at the fairgrounds to
      generate some interest here. There is a local group of guys calling
      themselves Amtguard, they play with boffer weapons but have a
      medieval interest. The access to the fairgrounds is free to use
      unless I book the banquet room which is $35 to use.
      Our idea was to cook some food, host a fighter practice/A&S day in
      the park, sort of a demo atmosphere and have some fliers and contact
      infor available.
      This was an idea we had been putting together before we found your
      yahoo group and would very much want to include any local group that
      we may be able to become part of. I do not see a huge cost to this
      and am not soliciting money from your Shire, but if you want some
      exposure and are wanting to have a meeting to discuss plans for your
      group it would certainly be a venue to do that at.

      I have seen many things work and fail in the SCA in regards to trying
      to get the SCA exposure and bring in new members, I`d be willing to
      give whatever time and assisatnce I can to helping out as would
      Ravenna.The main thing is to spend money wisely, while some groups
      have alot of funds, they do depleat fast if you are not careful.
      I look forward to hearing and meeting everyone,
      Luther

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2008
        Greetings,

        I thought I would throw my welcome on the pile for the newcomers to
        the list! We live in Effingham so we aren't too far up the road from
        you guys. There is another SCAdian family we are friends with in
        Olney, too. They haven't been able to play for a little while,
        though. We'll have to get you guys all in touch.

        There has been discussion of us trying to hold a demo sometime in the
        near future. At the moment discussion has been slow because we've
        been short enough on people it would be hard to put together a good show.

        Maybe with more people in the area we can get some things rolling.

        Cheers and well met,
        Kendrick
      • lapalmer1969
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 31, 2008
          Good to meet you, we should all get together here soon and see what
          we can come up with. I originally started the SCA in NC, who is the
          person you know in NC, maybe we know them too.
          Luther

          --- In stcarol@yahoogroups.com, desiree wright <dnw826@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > meeting to
          > > mull over "where we're currently at", "what shall we
          do", "what's
          > the
          > > latest SCA news" and, of course, socialize?
          > >
          > > With our jobs and such, Sundays seem to have been the popular
          day
          > in the
          > > recent past. For my part, I'm in the middle of rehearsing a play
          > > (intensive 2 character show) which opens 9/19. so I am
          unavailable
          > for
          > > the last two Sundays of that month. Whatever day and date works
          > best
          > > for all, we also should consider if we want to meet in
          Charleston,
          > or in
          > > Effingham, and where in which town.
          > >
          > > What do others think? Chime in now as you may.

        • lapalmer1969
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 31, 2008
            Demos would definitely be the way to go to getting new people. Doing
            some demos around the group`s area would help everyone out if we can
            all support one another with our local areas. Having more people in
            my local area would help out around here.
            Luther

            --- In stcarol@yahoogroups.com, "Kendrick" <jervamp@...> wrote:

            > Greetings,
            >
            > I thought I would throw my welcome on the pile for the newcomers to
            > the list! We live in Effingham so we aren't too far up the road
            from
            > you guys. There is another SCAdian family we are friends with in
            > Olney, too. They haven't been able to play for a little while,
            > though. We'll have to get you guys all in touch.
            >
            > There has been discussion of us trying to hold a demo sometime in
            the
            > near future. At the moment discussion has been slow because we've
            > been short enough on people it would be hard to put together a good
            show.

            > Maybe with more people in the area we can get some things rolling.
            >
            > Cheers and well met,
            > Kendrick

          • desiree wright
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2008
              Michelle Jenkins (aka Sorcha or Lunachic). She's in Greenville. Not originally from there and took a break with her 2 kids.

              lapalmer1969 <lapalmer1969@...> wrote: Good to meet you, we should all get together here soon and see what