Fwd: Re: [wurmwald] Combat Practice Monday afternoon: details

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2008
      --- In wurmwald@yahoogroups.com, c.ehlschlaeger@... wrote:

      Clarifications regarding combat practice this weekend and the weekend
      of September 6.
      1) Combat practice is at my house:
      2) Heavy starts at 3pm, rapier about 5pm-ish
      3) I plan to have a Chambana Medievalist Association combat practice
      on or near campus the weekend of September 5-7 (heavy SCA, rapier SCA,
      beginning RA). It has been my experience in CU that the first couple
      of combat practices in the fall semester will have MANY new people
      showing up. (Especially considering the huge turnout at Quad Day.)
      Most will attend only the first one or two practices. Until the
      numbers dwindle, we will want to simplify getting new people to
      practice. This will be discussed in detail at combat practice Monday.
      4) The "campus practice(s)" will probably be Sunday afternoon on the
      South quad or Blair Park depending on fighter opinions.
      5) Once we get a stable population of fighters, those fighters will
      determine combat practice time and location.
      Sincerely, Aleator

      --
      Chuck Ehlschlaeger, PhD in Geography
      work: 217-352-6511x6390

      From: c.ehlschlaeger@...
      > Dear All,
      > After first screening times/dates when fighters said they couldn't
      be attending,
      > and when I will be out of town (I plan to attend the rapier event on
      Saturday
      > and maybe Sunday), Monday became the only viable option. To account for
      > preferences, here is the combat practice schedule:
      > Heavy weapons and archery will start at 3pm.
      > Rapier will start approximately 5pm or when heavy/archery ends.
      > As mentioned before, the main purpose of this combat practice is to
      practice
      > demo techniques. We will also discuss limitations due to the site.
      > I will also provide a demonstration of keeping rapiers clean and
      rust free.
      > There will also be a demonstration on the proper way to unbend a
      rapier (as our
      > group rapier took a nasty but hopefully fixable bend last combat
      practice). When
      > I use the word "proper" in this context, it means that someone with
      much more
      > experience than me explained this technique as the most likely
      method to save a
      > blade.
      > Sincerely, Aleator
      > PS. Several fighters indicated preferences without constraints. I
      took that to
      > mean they were available for all time slots but would prefer certain
      times.
      > --
      > Chuck Ehlschlaeger, PhD in Geography
      > work: 217-352-6511x6390
      > Charles.R.Ehlschlaeger@...
      > 2902 Newmark Dr, Champaign IL 61826
      > home: 217-722-9120
      > c.ehlschlaeger@...
      > 307 E Fawn Dr, Mahomet IL 91853

      > From: "Charles Ehlschlaeger" <c.ehlschlaeger@...>
      > > We are giving a combat demo a week from Thursday evening. Everyone who
      > > is authorized or has been training with me this year will be expected
      > > to attend. (Food, dancing, music, etc. will be there so we should have
      > > a good time after the combat.)
      > > Everyone, especially non-authorized fighters, should attend the combat
      > > practice this weekend. Options are:
      > > Friday evening 6pm
      > > Saturday morning 9am
      > > Monday afternoon 3pm
      > > Monday evening 6pm
      > > Fighters should email me at c.ehlschlaeger@... by Wednesday
      > > indicating which of those slots they cannot attend. Since we do a
      > > little socializing, everyone is encouraged to attend and email me with
      > > preferences as well.
      > > Warning: my memory stinks. If you verbally told me something, I might
      > > not remember by Wednesday.
      > > --
      > > Chuck Ehlschlaeger, aka Aleator
      > > 217-722-9120