Comments Solicited on Hum Writeup

  • w8zr_santa_fe
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2010
      Hi Gang,
      The StationPro has provisions for switching between two microphones. The majority of builders will no doubt use modern mics that use an 8-pin mic jack (I'm supplying two 8-pin mic jacks with each semi-kit).

      Some vintage radio collectors, however, may want to use other types of microphone jacks, such as the military 3/16 in. jacks used in the Collins KWM-2 and Drake B & C lines, or perhaps the 2-pin jacks used in the Collins KWS-1 and EF Johnson AM rigs.

      Vintage mics typically have high-Z elements and use a single shielded cable, with the cable braid used as the audio and PTT return. When used with peripheral devices such as the StationPro, such mics are susceptable to picking up AC hum. Therefore, I've written up some notes that explain why hum pickup occurs in vintage microphones, and how to eliminate or minimize it. I'm planning on attaching these notes as an appendix in the StationPro operating manual, but first wanted to run them by a few folks to get comments and suggestions.

      So.... if you've got time, I'd appreciate your taking a look at my notes at http://www.w8zr.net/homebrew/Microphone%20Hum.pdf  and let me know what you think. Thanks!
    • M Chance
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 27, 2010
        Jim,  The write up on the older Mic issue looks great, and should clean up any hum.  I'm only planning on running modern transceivers with the StationPro.  I like to keep my older Collins and Henry Tempo One setup, semi separated from the rest of the shack.  I plan on using one 8 pin mic plug and one XLR, mic plug, since I use a Heil PR40 mic, and Symetrix 528E Voice processor, the XLR cables just make the setup much more cleaner.

        73's,

        Mike
        KE7WRJ

        P.S.  When are the kits going to be available?  I'm ready to start building.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27, 2010

          Hi Mike,

          Many thanks for your comments. By any chance do you know the dimensions of the XLR mic jack? I’d like to know what size hole it mounts in and also how much depth behind the panel is required.  I want to make sure builders won’t have any problems installing it in the SP.

          Re kit availability, I’m planning on shipping kits roughly mid-June,which is when my QST article is (provisionally) scheduled to appear (the July issue). I’ve got all the components for the kits here now except for one shipment of SP2 front panels, which should arrive within a week, but haven’t packed them all up into individual kits yet, and I am still finalizing the documentation. The operating and assembly manual for the SP2 runs to 75 pages, with dozens of photographs!  I’m trying to make the assembly manual as comprehensive as Elecraft manuals, so builders won’t have any problems building the unit.I’ll supply a spiral bound copy with each kit, and also make it available for downoads. Let me know if you’d like an advance copy of the manual (which except for tweaking is in final form), and I’ll email you one. I’m also getting the accompanying SP website ready and will publish it when the QST article appears.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 27, 2010
            Dimensions for the standard XLR chassis connector can be found here:

            However, for balanced mic applications with Jim's StationPro I/II, I would also consider the popular mini-XLR format.

            Dimensions for the mini-XLR chassis connector here:

            The Mini-XLR is also available in multiple pin formats (e.g., 5-pin).  This would allow for balanced audio as well as PTT switching, thereby keeping all switching currents off the audio conductors.

            Neutrik also sells high-quality mini-XLR connectors and are generally available through Mouser.

            Paul, W9AC

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 27, 2010
              Jim,  Sure would love a soft copy of the manual.  Heck, would be willing to purchase and pay for the whole thing now, and just send me the circuit boards, and components, so I can get a head start.  I've home brewed a lot of amps and different station accessories, but I think the Station Pro is one of the best projects I've seen in a long time.

              73's,

              Mike
              KE7WRJ