KPA500 integration

  • w0fk_lou
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2014

      I am adding an Elecraft KPA500 to my K3, and will have 2 other higher powered amps inline for those times more power is desired. My thought is, so that the Elecraft combo is fully integrated, to use the transceiver 1 position for the K3/KPA500 output, jumper amp 1 input and output so I can get 500 watts to the antenna out jack, and use the other amps in amp 2 and 3 so I can drive them with the K3 (at exciter power of course, no 4CX10000 for me!).

      Are the relays on the transceiver side of the relay box capable of handing 5-600 watts?

      Anybody have any other thoughts for setting this up?

      73,

      Lou, W0FK

    • MU 4CX250B
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2014
        Hi Lou,
        Yes, the transceiver relays can handle the full legal limit (plus quite a bit more), so your proposed scheme is very workable. You can also lock out the K3/KPA500 combination from accidentally driving the other two amplifiers.

        I did this in my own station, where I locked out a Johnson Ranger and Viking Kilowatt combination from driving other amplifiers.
        73,
        Jim w8zr

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2014

          Afterthought: Lou, having given your situation thirty seconds of additional reflection, I think there may be a better option. One is just to hook your three transceivers up to TRX1, TRX2, and TRX3,  and your three amplifiers to AMP1, AMP2, AMP3, as is normally done. Then edit the firmware listing to lock out two transceivers (the ones that are not the K3) from being able to drive the KPA500. Then you can use the K3 to drive all three amps, but the other transceivers would only be able to drive the higher power amps. There never should be a need to jumper the input and output of any of the amps, since the bypass relay in the unit accomplishes that task for you. The bypass relay is also rated at legal limit + power.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2014
            Thanks Jim. The second option sounds like the best. I am only running 1 xcvr at present (the K3), but I can set it up as you have suggested. I can still use the K3/KPA500 integration cable and the relay cable to the station pro for the other amps.73, Lou, W0FKLou, W0FK