Such a breeze

  • ampman1961
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2014
      Greetings to all and Happy New Year.
      I finished one of my new year resolution tasks... programming the SPII.
      What a breeze! It's about as simple as it gets but the part that made me
      procrastinate was having to install a serial card in my PC as it never came with one.
      The BASIC STAMP editor is wonderful, and because I own a W8ZR EZ-Tuner, I can
      now program it too should the need arise. The next step will be to build the PODS,
      which I have the parts for but haven't had the time. It will happen this month.
      Thanks to Jim for a wonderful project that is both clever and brilliant.
      73 de Billy N6YW
    • ampman1961
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2014
        I spent the day building the first pod unit that is assigned for the Flex 5000A. I also made a CAT5 Ethernet cable for the RF relay box and tested all of the functionality. It works perfect. I'm not sure if anyone else has done this, but I am going to install a DB9 connector on the rear panel of the SPII to allow ease of programming instead of having to remove the upper rear board to access the molex connector header. In fact, I will remove it entirely and hard wire a short cable which will attach to the DB9. Because my station is always changing, I feel it's a good idea to do so. The amplifier lockout feature is useful and I programmed mine so that "AMP 2&3" cannot be accessed by TX 2&3. Collins ART-13 and Hallicrafters BC-610.
        I am loving this unit. It will solve a lot of connectivity issues with multiple rigs and it looks like I may have to consider building another one in case the shack grows again. The possibilities are endless.
        73 de Billy N6YW