RE: [stationpro] Re: RF Path Out of the Station Pro 2

  • lionking45@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 24, 2013
      I rechecked the alignment of U202, U203 and U204.  All matched the silkscreen.

      I rechecked the alignment of the ribbon cables - all are lined up.  Checked P101 alignment pcially with a bright light as I disassembled the front panel.

      Ariel NY4G

      Sent from Windows Mail

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 24, 2013
        It might be worthwhile to know the voltages of the pins of U204 when it is properly working.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 24, 2013

          Good idea, Ariel. U204 is an array of transistor switches. When one of the transistor switches is closed, the corresponding output pin of U204 grounds one of the relay coils. Pin 10 is always 12V, and pin 9 is Ground.  Below are some output pin numbers for U204: As an example, if you toggle TRX1 on the front panel, then Pin 16 will be grounded. Otherwise it should show 12V. I'd start by toggling AMP3, which is on Pin 15. Pin 15 will actuate K213 on the controller PCB and you should be able to hear it click. (See the circuit diagram.)

          Pin 10 = +12V (bottom right pin)

          Pin 9 = GND  (bottom left pin)

          Pin 13  AMP1

          Pin 14  AMP2

          Pin 15  AMP3

          Pin 16  TRX1

          Pin 17  TRX2

          Pin 18  TRX3

          If the output pins of U204 alsways show +12 and never are grounded, then that suggests a problem with U202 or U203, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 24, 2013
            First of all Merry Christmas Jim.  I hope you and your family are doing well.  I snuck down into the shack to take some measurements on U204 while toggling switches

            Pin 9 shows 12V and Pin 12 is at ground potential

            Pin 16 stays grounded regardless on whether TRX 1 is toggled or not.

            There are differences in voltage between pin and pad which might indicate poor solder joints on U204.  I will check it out tomorrow.

            73 and Merry Christmas

            Ariel NY4G

            Sent from Windows Mail

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 25, 2013
              It is Christmas morning in North America and Christmas greetings from South Carolina to the group.  It would sure be a nice Christmas present if my Station Pro 2 worked on Christmas day.

              As I suspected from the last email - the pins of U-204 have only the corner pins soldered.  Now before, I solder the rest of the pins, let me first thank Jim and Dave for all the help they have given me seeing this through.  I know that they must both be very busy this time of year as everyone else with family around.

              These old eyes even with a 10X loop failed to see the unsoldered pins the first time.  Well live and learn.  Thanks for all the help and Merry Christmas

              Ariel NY4G

              Sent from Windows Mail

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 25, 2013

                Merry Xmas, Ariel!  You're making progress. We'll keep our fingers crossed that your SP-II works flawlessly after you solder the IC pins.

                It might be worthwhile to know the voltages of the pins of U204 when it is properly working.

                Ariel NY4G

                Sent from Windows Mail

                Glad to have Jim jump back in, your BS2 is working, but not sure how you can test U202, 03, and 04 without replacing. Would make it easier if you found one upside down, or discovered one of the ribbon’s were off by a pin.  In one of my shorted diode problems I had, I did indeed destroy a U204 on that board. It make a little spot on the IC where it failed so it was easy to spot, and it did that because I put in a much higher amperage fuse. We all learn by mistakes, I could not believe there was a brand new diode that was shorted on the RF switch board. However bad this current draw was only U204 failed, it’s a simple and robust circuit that Jim designed.

                SO don’t get yourself down, you have a lot of help here to get it put to rights and you will liove the SP2 once you get it up and going.

                73 – Dave, N8ZFM

                Check U202, U203 and U204 on the controller PCB to make sure the ICs aren't installed upside down. Also, inspect each pin on each IC to make sure none of the pins are seated properly in their PCB pads and soldered properly. Be sure the pins on the Basic Stamp are seated properly in the socket and not bent under the chip.

                And, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, go over once again ALL the ribbon cables. A misaligned ribbon cable is still the most likely problem. The schematic diagram looks more complicated than it is, but basically the outputs from the relay driver U204 gets routed into the front panel PCB and the control PCB, where it then operates the relays. Since none of the relays are working, that narrows the possibilitlies to something that affects all the relays globally.

                I rechecked the ribbon cables and it appears OK. I can't hear the relays clicking in the controller either. The only relay sound I hear is that of a relay when I power down.

                Ariel NY4G

                --- In station pro@yahoogroups.com, MU 4CX250B < 4cx250b@...> wrote:

                > Ariel,
                > Do you hear relays clicking in the controller unit when you select
                > different transceivers and amplifiers? I understand you do not hear them in
                > the remote relay unit, but how about in the controller? Also, Dave gave you
                > good advice, re a possibly misaligned ribbon cable.
                > 73,
                > Jim W8ZR
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Dec 23, 2013, at 6:58 PM, "lionking45@..." <
                > lionking45@...> wrote:
                >

                > Dave,
                >
                > I did what you said and swapped out the RJ45 cable from my computer modem.
                > Still no luck.
                >
                > No clicking sounds of relays switching.
                >
                > Ariel NY4G
                >
                > Sent from Windows Mail

              • ArielJacala
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 25, 2013
                  Jim

                  SP2 firing on all cylinders !!!  All relays paths are functioning.  Beautiful design and very robust.  Merry Christmas

                  Ariel NY4G

                  Sent from my iPhone

                • MU 4CX250B
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 25, 2013
                    That's really good news, Ariel. I know troubleshooting was frustrating, but the fix was actually rather easy. Congrats?
                    73,
                    Jim w8zr
                    Sent from my iPhone