RE: [stationpro] RF Path Out of the Station Pro 2

  • lionking45@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 23, 2013
      Jim,

      I can’t hear the relays switching.  They should switch even if there are no coaxial cables connected.  Ground continuity between the shield side of the SO239 and adjacent screw on the case is less than 1 ohm.  Resistance from each SO239 screw to a distant point on the case is at worst 1 ohm.

      Ariel NY4G

      Sent from Windows Mail

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 23, 2013

        Ariel, have you tried a different cat-5 cable between the SP and the switch box?  Jim was dead on right here, if you can’t hear the click of the relay the problem most likely is the RJ45 cable.  Sounds like you did clean the power coat well enough, less than 1 ohm rules ground return on the coax completely out. I never thought of asking if you could hear them click.

        73 – Dave N8ZFM

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 23, 2013
          Dave,

          I did what you said and swapped out the RJ45 cable from my computer modem.  Still no luck.

          No clicking sounds of relays switching.

          Ariel NY4G

          Sent from Windows Mail

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 23, 2013

            When you select between the different amps and tx’s the LED’s follow the selection as well as the LCD text?  Do you hear the internal relay’s that switch the audio lines click inside the SP2?

            The RJ45 is too difficult to try to probe the little contacts with a voltmeter, I have tried that on other equipment.

            The P101 ribbon cable is for the most part a direct connection from the front panel to the RF Relay jack, check that cable again and make sure it’s not a pin off. If it was the audio functions would not work but I think you said right now you only have the RF switching hooked up. I think if that cable was connected wrong its possible you could get that symptom.

            Page 3 of the schematic shows the connection between the P101 header and the RJ-45 jack.   Control of it is from the control board via pin header P307 but if that cable was incorrect the LED’s would not follow your selection, and the LCD would not display anything because the LCD serial data is via that ribbon as well.

            73 – Dave N8ZFM

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 23, 2013
                I rechecked the ribbon cables and it appears OK. I can't hear the relays clicking in the controller either. The only relay sound I hear is that of a relay when I power down.

                Ariel NY4G

                --- In stationpro@yahoogroups.com, MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@...> wrote:

                > Ariel,
                > Do you hear relays clicking in the controller unit when you select
                > different transceivers and amplifiers? I understand you do not hear them in
                > the remote relay unit, but how about in the controller? Also, Dave gave you
                > good advice, re a possibly misaligned ribbon cable.
                > 73,
                > Jim W8ZR
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Dec 23, 2013, at 6:58 PM, "lionking45@..." <
                > lionking45@...> wrote:
                >

                > Dave,
                >
                > I did what you said and swapped out the RJ45 cable from my computer modem.
                > Still no luck.
                >
                > No clicking sounds of relays switching.
                >
                > Ariel NY4G
                >
                > Sent from Windows Mail

              • Dave Trainor
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 23, 2013

                  How about the LCD text Ariel?  Does it change and show the programmed values when you select the different switches? And do the LED’s at the switches light correctly?

                  73 Dave – N8ZFM

                  I rechecked the ribbon cables and it appears OK. I can't hear the relays clicking in the controller either. The only relay sound I hear is that of a relay when I power down.

                  Ariel NY4G

                  --- In stationpro@yahoogroups.com, MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@...> wrote:

                  > Ariel,
                  > Do you hear relays clicking in the controller unit when you select
                  > different transceivers and amplifiers? I understand you do not hear them in
                  > the remote relay unit, but how about in the controller? Also, Dave gave you
                  > good advice, re a possibly misaligned ribbon cable.
                  > 73,
                  > Jim W8ZR
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Dec 23, 2013, at 6:58 PM, "lionking45@..." <
                  > lionking45@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > Dave,
                  >
                  > I did what you said and swapped out the RJ45 cable from my computer modem.
                  > Still no luck.
                  >
                  > No clicking sounds of relays switching.
                  >
                  > Ariel NY4G
                  >
                  > Sent from Windows Mail

                • Lionking45
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 23, 2013
                    All the LEDs light correctly ad tracks the programmed values.  The swap switch works as well.  The mic switch LEDs change when the mics are switched.  A far as I can tell, the LEDs and the LCD text match the programed values.

                    Ariel NY4G

                    Sent from my iPad

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 23, 2013

                      Ariel,

                      Check U202, U203 and U204 on the controller PCB to make sure the ICs aren't installed upside down. Also, inspect each pin on each IC to make sure none of the pins are seated properly in their PCB pads and soldered properly. Be sure the pins on the Basic Stamp are seated properly in the socket and not bent under the chip.

                      And, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, go over once again ALL the ribbon cables. A misaligned ribbon cable is still the most likely problem. The schematic diagram looks more complicated than it is, but basically the outputs from the relay driver U204 gets routed into the front panel PCB and the control PCB, where it then operates the relays. Since none of the relays are working, that narrows the possibilitlies to something that affects all the relays globally.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 23, 2013

                        Glad to have Jim jump back in, your BS2 is working, but not sure how you can test U202, 03, and 04 without replacing. Would make it easier if you found one upside down, or discovered one of the ribbon’s were off by a pin.  In one of my shorted diode problems I had, I did indeed destroy a U204 on that board. It make a little spot on the IC where it failed so it was easy to spot, and it did that because I put in a much higher amperage fuse. We all learn by mistakes, I could not believe there was a brand new diode that was shorted on the RF switch board. However bad this current draw was only U204 failed, it’s a simple and robust circuit that Jim designed.

                        SO don’t get yourself down, you have a lot of help here to get it put to rights and you will liove the SP2 once you get it up and going.

                        73 – Dave, N8ZFM