Problem Powering Up

  • lionking45@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 21, 2013
      On first power up without the programming cable attached - I saw the power LED light stay on for a about a second and a yellow microphone light. Then the lights went off. It turned out I blew a fuse.

      I thought maybe the speaker on the bottom panel may have shorted something out. I removed the speaker and placed it on the outside. I tried to power up once again. The LED showed dimly for about a half a second and died.

      The fuse is not blown this time. No smoke and nothing appears burned.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks

      Ariel NY4G
    • lionking45@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 21, 2013
        Just checked the second fuse and it is blown as well - using a 1 amp fuse.

        Ariel NY4G

        I won't power up again until I hear from someone.

        Ariel NY4G

        --- In stationpro@yahoogroups.com, "lionking45@..." <lionking45@...> wrote:

        > On first power up without the programming cable attached - I saw the power LED light stay on for a about a second and a yellow microphone light. Then the lights went off. It turned out I blew a fuse.
        >
        > I thought maybe the speaker on the bottom panel may have shorted something out. I removed the speaker and placed it on the outside. I tried to power up once again. The LED showed dimly for about a half a second and died.
        >
        > The fuse is not blown this time. No smoke and nothing appears burned.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Ariel NY4G

      • Dave Trainor
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 21, 2013

          Well you can start with the simple things, if you have the rf switch box plugged in, unplug it. If that fixes the blown fuse you probably have a diode installed backwards, or possibly a shorted one on the switch board.

          If not, then check all your diode orientation on the main and cpu boards, make sure one is not accidentally backwards.  I’d probably remove the basic stamp just for safety’s sake. You can put it back after the fuse is stable.

          Check the front panel board and make sure nothing is shorting to the case there.

          Did you use a flux remover after soldering?  Some of the new fangled solder’s flux I have found to be conductive way more than what I used to use before ROHS rules.

          I know these are simple things, but blowing the fuse on power up is usually something easy, and easily fixed.

          73 – Dave N8ZFM

        • lionking45@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 21, 2013
            I do not have anything connected to the Station Pro. Just power. The programming cable is not even connected.

            Ariel

            --- In stationpro@yahoogroups.com, "lionking45@..." <lionking45@...> wrote:

            > On first power up without the programming cable attached - I saw the power LED light stay on for a about a second and a yellow microphone light. Then the lights went off. It turned out I blew a fuse.
            >
            > I thought maybe the speaker on the bottom panel may have shorted something out. I removed the speaker and placed it on the outside. I tried to power up once again. The LED showed dimly for about a half a second and died.
            >
            > The fuse is not blown this time. No smoke and nothing appears burned.
            >
            > Any ideas?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Ariel NY4G

          • Dave Trainor
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 21, 2013

              OK, well that rules out the switch box. You can remove all of the boards, the power jack is on the lowest board in the stack. See if it still blows the fuse, the add the CPU board without the CPU. And add each one by one.  If you were going to do any damage it already happened most likely so the goal has to be to start to isolate where the short is.

              Seriously I have had lots of trouble with the new flux, so a Q tip and alcohol may fix it. Past that I think the most likely problem is a reversed or shorted diode.

              73 – Dave N8ZFM

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 21, 2013

                Hi Ariel,

                Sorry to hear about the power-up problem, but it shouldn't be hard to track down. Dave gave you good advice. Check to make sure all electrolytic caps and diodes are installed with the correct polarity. Make sure you don't have the 5V regulator on the microcontroller PCB installed backwards, and verify that all the ICs are installed correctly (not upside down or pins offset by one). Also make sure that the ribbon cables are installed correctly. It's very easy for a ribbon cable to be offset by one pin into its connector, and if that happens it can cause a fuse to blow.

                Try unplugging the microcontroller PCB and also leave the RF relay unit disconnected. Then, if the fuse doesn't blow when you turn on the 12V power,  that narrows down the area where the short circuit is located.

                Let us know what you find out and we'll go to the next step. Don't despair. Power-up problems are usually the easiest to fix.

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 22, 2013
                  I am making a list of the suggestions you and Dave have given a slowly try to check things out - later today.  Dave mentioned about problems with the flux.  I did not do as good a job cleaning the flux off the bottom of the board as I should have.  The Q tips leave a lot of strands from leads catching so I will try toothbrush dipped in denatured alcohol.  That is after I check out all diode orientations.

                  Is the metal part of the regulator supposed to be nearest the large electrolytic capacitor?

                  I will also remove the Basic Stamp IC before i do anything else as Dave suggested.

                  The resistance from the banded end of the diode nearest the fuse is extremely low.  Could this be a bad diode?

                  73

                  Ariel NY4G

                  Sent from my iPad

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 22, 2013

                    Ariel,

                    Yes, the metal side of the 5V regulator IC (U205), is adjacent to the electrolytic capacitor.  I doubt that the input diode D101 is shorted (although it could be installed backwards), but you can check it by removing the fuse and measuring the resistance to ground. If the resistance to ground remains low with the fuse removed, then check the solder connections around the power jack. That's more likely to be a source of the short circuit than a bad diode. Also, with the fuse in place but the 12V power supply disconnected, flip the power switch and see if the low resistance to ground is present only with the power switch turned on.

                    I wouldn't worry about the solder flux, so long as you are using a standard resin core flux. That's never been a problem with the StationPro, and whatever leakage resistance is present through residual flux, it would be very small and wouldn't cause a fuse to blow.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 22, 2013

                      Jim, on both of the last two I built I did have a shorted diode, new from Mouser. Can’t explain it as its been many years since I had one new that was shorted. Maybe Mouser has an iffy batch from the factory. I have started checking them before installation because of this.

                      73 – Dave N8ZFM