Received panel yesterday - Thanks!

  • k2tqn
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 23, 2013
      It's beautiful.

      73, John Dilks, K2TQN

      -.-
    • Chris Kepus
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 24, 2013

        Been reading all the rave reviews….opened my package yesterday… WOW!!  The reviews are UNDERstated!!

        Thanks, Jim!

        73,

        Chris W7JPG

        PS: Your excellent packing and box size paid off.  First time that I can remember that a medium PM box came through  really whacked with a major sized dent!

        As I opened the box I started breathing easier when I saw the large cocoon of bubble wrap.  Panel was unscathed.

        "Any day above ground is a good day"

      • Jim Heye
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 24, 2013
          I received my panel yesterday! As a added bonus I ordered a desoldering tool that I wanted for sometime to assist in the refit.

          Thanks Jim,

          Jim K5WLQ

          Chris Kepus <ckepus@...> wrote:

          Been reading all the rave reviews….opened my package yesterday… WOW!!  The reviews are UNDERstated!!

          Thanks, Jim!

          73,

          Chris W7JPG

          PS: Your excellent packing and box size paid off.  First time that I can remember that a medium PM box came through  really whacked with a major sized dent!

          As I opened the box I started breathing easier when I saw the large cocoon of bubble wrap.  Panel was unscathed.

          "Any day above ground is a good day"

        • Torrey Mitchell
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 24, 2013

            Ditto that Jim.  Not long after I saw you last, I bought that super de-soldering “gun” that you showed me in the case.  Can’t wait to use it once I change out the panel on my first SP II!

            Thanks Jim for the very nice panel upgrade!  My complete Collins station included the working KWM2-A is back up and running.  I will use the second SP II to switch from the KWM2-A station to the KWM-380 station to the Drake C-line.  I’m really excited about using my boat anchor gear again…for the first time in a long time!

            Torrey N9PY

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 25, 2013
              Well I can't let the "Super de-soldering gun" comment  from Torrey past. I have a Pace vacuum system for desoldering but always looking for something better. Jim, what is this de-soldering  device you are talking about?

              73's
              Bill
              W4ASE

              Bill Morton
              Sent from my mobile device

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 26, 2013

                Hi Bill,

                I use a Hakko 808 desoldering kit, which one can buy on Amazon for about $200. You can read user reviews there, also. I”ve been very pleased with it.

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 26, 2013
                  One hint if (WHEN??) you buy the Hakko 808, spend a few bucks more and get that nice stand that is sold for it.  I nearly burned the table up before my brain kicked in and said "the heat is on all the time, dummy!!!"  The stand sells on Amazon for $25 or so, and it is NICE.  The 808 does come with a little asbestos (probably not, but similar) coat over a metal spring, so they don't ship them bare, but the stand is a worthy addition, IMHO.
                  73,
                  Don, WB5HAK

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 26, 2013
                      Are we talking about this one:

                      Hakko Iron Holder 633-01 w/ 599B

                      I have the 808 but no stand and this would come in handy.

                      Thanks,

                      Tom
                      727-437-2771

                      On Aug 26, 2013, at 4:36 PM, Jim Heye <james_heye@...> wrote:

                      Hakko 808

                    • Don Cunningham

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 26, 2013

                          Ok thanks Jim for the information

                          73’s

                          Bill

                          W4ASE

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 26, 2013

                            I think this is the holder for the 808

                            http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-Iron-Holder-For-Desoldering/dp/B000PDWEAG/ref=pd_sim_hi_6

                            this sure looks easier than my old Pace

                            73’s

                            Bill

                            W4ASE

                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 26, 2013
                              That is one, Bill, but the one we were referencing (it's at the bottom of the page he linked to) has a housing with a brass (like scruffer sponge, but brass) in a nice holder.  You still get the sponge if you prefer it, but I like that brass scrubber to keep the tip clean.  It doesn't cool the tip like a sponge does.  It does add some cost, but I like mine.
                              73,
                              Don, WB5HAK

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 26, 2013
                                Thanks, Bill. I didn't know about this holder, but it will be very helpful with the Hakko 808.
                                73,
                                Jim w8zr

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 26, 2013
                                  Reviews on Amazon's web site imply that the Hakko Iron Holder holder is intended for holding soldering irons and is unstable when holding something as large and heavy as their #808 desoldering tool.  Is there anyone here who has actually used the #633 holder for the #808?  If so, what was your experience with the holder's stability?  It appears that Hakko sells two different stands, #633-02 with the sponge and #633-01 with the dry tip cleaner.

                                  If any of you are contemplating the purchase of the Hakko 808 Desoldering Gun, please know that it is one of the most useful tools I've ever purchased.  Three shack guests have used it and immediately bought their own!

                                  73, de Mike, K9UW
                                  Amherst, WI

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 27, 2013
                                        I'm still living in the past as solder wick is used here together with several Edsyn Soldapullts.  Started using them in high school.  After college, I worked for RKO Radio in Chicago where
                                        the Director of Engineering showed me that a well-maintained "pult" could be as effective as a desoldering station - albeit without the benefit of a continuous pump.  Keeping the chamber clean is critical for maximum effectiveness.  To accomplish cleaning, silicone spray is sprayed into the chamber and allowed to drip free, then cleaned with a rag.  When the chamber is clean, it's sprayed once again with an even layer.  Then, the "O" ring is cleaned and lubricated with silicone spray.  You know you've serviced it properly when you load the spring and can hold the tip in your palm, and the pump doesn't release when disengaged.  In other words, a near perfect suction is created.  That condition will mostly last through most desoldering projects before cleaning is needed again.

                                        I've long labored with getting a new desoldering station but I keep thinking I can buy an awful lot of Soldapullts at $20 ea. when compared against the cost of a good desoldering gun or station.  That, plus a really bad experience with an expensive Unger station back in the early '90s has kept me from a purchase.

                                        Paul, W9AC
                                      • w7jpg
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 27, 2013
                                          Jim,
                                          Looks like you're talking about the Hakko 633-02. Please advise if this is not the subject holder.

                                          Interesting review on Amazon...always wonder when there is only one review...

                                          Since neither you or Don mentioned the alleged shortcoming, "....while its very good at its job of holding the 808, that plastic bit at the heart of the interface between the holder and the 808 cannot cope with the heat from the 808. it becomes brittle very quickly when the 808 is used continuously, and because of the stresses placed on it by the gun and teh design of the interface it at the middle of, it eventually fractures and the entire thing instantly becomes an interesting piece of art on the end of your bench. few of these have lasted much longer than a couple of months."

                                          Comments??

                                          73,

                                          Chris

                                          W7JPG

                                          --- In stationpro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Heye <james_heye@...> wrote:

                                          > Don is absolutely correct..... BUY the stand if you buy a Hakko 808 desoldering tool otherwise you will destroy something if you don't unplug it each time you use it.
                                          > Jim,K5WLQ
                                          >
                                          > Don Cunningham <donc@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > >One hint if (WHEN??) you buy the Hakko 808, spend a few bucks more and
                                          > >get that nice stand that is sold for it. I nearly burned the table up
                                          > >before my brain kicked in and said "the heat is on all the time,
                                          > >dummy!!!" The stand sells on Amazon for $25 or so, and it is NICE. The
                                          > >808 does come with a little asbestos (probably not, but similar) coat
                                          > >over a metal spring, so they don't ship them bare, but the stand is a
                                          > >worthy addition, IMHO.
                                          > >73,
                                          > >Don, WB5HAK
                                          > >On 8/26/2013 2:50 PM, Jim Garland wrote:
                                          > >>
                                          > >> Hi Bill,
                                          > >>
                                          > >> I use a Hakko 808 desoldering kit, which one can buy on Amazon for
                                          > >> about $200. You can read user reviews there, also. I"ve been very
                                          > >> pleased with it.
                                          > >>
                                          > >> 73,
                                          > >>
                                          > >> Jim W8ZR

                                        • Billy
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 2, 2013
                                            I have been using Pace equipment for years. You can find some good deals for used Pace soldering/de-soldering equipment. My main station is an older MBT 3 channel model. The soldering iron's are great but the heating elements don't last as long as I would like. However, the de-soldering unit is a very robust and well designed piece that works very well. It was designed for production work and the heating elements last a long time. If de-soldering is all you need, I would look into one of their 2 channel units, like an MBT 200 series.
                                            Pace used two different size heating elements to accommodate two different sized tips. The 3/16's unit is the better one, and carries more heat. Soldapullit units and wick have their place and I use them when needed, but nothing works like the Pace system, especially on double sided circuit boards.
                                            73 de Billy N6YW