RE: [stationpro] New SP-II custom front panel possibility and SP-II LCD bargain

  • Manuel Maseda
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 14, 2013

      Jim,

      Put me on the list for 1.

      Thanks,

      Manuel  W4SSB

      From: stationpro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:stationpro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jim Garland
      Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:25 AM
      To: stationpro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [stationpro] New SP-II custom front panel possibility and SP-II LCD bargain

      Hi gang,

      Two items: First, a number of SP-II builders have expressed a desire for a black SP-II front panel that would coordinate better with the other black-faced equipment in their station. I realize this is "guilding the lily," but would any of you with cash to spare be interesting in replacing your SP-II front panel with a custom black-anodized front panel with white engraved lettering? These would be custom ordered and probably would cost about $75 each. To make the purchase even remotely affordable, I'd probably have to order at least twenty, so thought I'd test the waters first to see if there's any interest. Let me know what you think. (The original panels were produced in large quantity for me by Ten-Tec, and the quantity requirements are too great to reorder with a different color. The custom panels would be made by a different company.) Replacing the front panel in  your SP-II is not difficult, although it would probably be necessary to replace the power switch (which is easily damaged when removing the panel). I would supply a new power switch with each panel.

      Second, MPJA.com (where I frequently buy surplus components) has on sale a 2x16 line LCD display for $4.95 that "ought" to fit perfectly into the SP-2. It has a pretty blue backlight, and should be quite attractive. I've ordered a couple to try out and will let you know how they work. The URL is http://www.mpja.com/07-09-13.asp?r=333669&s=8