New SP-II custom front panel possibility and SP-II LCD bargain

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 9 8:25 AM

      Hi gang,

      Two items: First, a number of SP-II builders have expressed a desire for a black SP-II front panel that would coordinate better with the other black-faced equipment in their station. I realize this is "guilding the lily," but would any of you with cash to spare be interesting in replacing your SP-II front panel with a custom black-anodized front panel with white engraved lettering? These would be custom ordered and probably would cost about $75 each. To make the purchase even remotely affordable, I'd probably have to order at least twenty, so thought I'd test the waters first to see if there's any interest. Let me know what you think. (The original panels were produced in large quantity for me by Ten-Tec, and the quantity requirements are too great to reorder with a different color. The custom panels would be made by a different company.) Replacing the front panel in  your SP-II is not difficult, although it would probably be necessary to replace the power switch (which is easily damaged when removing the panel). I would supply a new power switch with each panel.

      Second, MPJA.com (where I frequently buy surplus components) has on sale a 2x16 line LCD display for $4.95 that "ought" to fit perfectly into the SP-2. It has a pretty blue backlight, and should be quite attractive. I've ordered a couple to try out and will let you know how they work. The URL is http://www.mpja.com/07-09-13.asp?r=333669&s=8

    • Bill Morton
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 9 9:01 AM
        Jim,

        I bought one of your on sale SP1 with SP2 upgrade kit as a backup to my online SP2 and I am getting ready to build it. So your email is very timely. The black panel interests me and at this stage would be no problem to install. When do you think the black panels might be available? If soon I am a buyer for one - maybe two.

        The blue display is also very interesting please keep us informed on your test results and maybe a photo of it in operation if you can do it justice in a photo.

        I continue to smile everyday when I reach up to the SP2 and change something - thanks for a great product!

        73's
        Bill
        W4ASE

        Bill Morton
        Sent from my mobile device

[...]

      • Torrey Mitchell
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 9 9:08 AM

          Sign me up Jim.

          I like the idea of building my second SP-II with the black panel and perhaps the blue LCD display.  Who knows, if I like it enough,  I might want to do a make-over on my original SP-II.   I would use it to control my boat anchor operating position with the St. James gray shelving, the 75A-4, KWM-380, SB-220 with black front panel, 30L-1, KWM-2A, 312B-5, 75S-3B, Collins mod of SB-610 scope, and the Drake C-line.

          BTW, how’s it coming with the new exotic wood station modules (you showed me drawings on the computer)?  Also, aren’t you supposed to be cruising the Amazon river about now?

          73 Torrey N9PY

[...]

        • Mark Ericksen
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 9 7:03 PM
            I would be very interested in ordering a black front panel.

            Mark Ericksen
            AD4MA

            Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:25 AM

[...]

          • Howard Cawthra
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 9 7:44 PM
              Hello,
                I'd buy a black front panel.
                   Howard KA6IOB
            • Jerry
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 10 4:39 AM

                Count me in for one as well.

                73 Jerry

                K1JOS

              • presley_f
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 10 4:51 AM
                  Count me in for the black panel!
                  Presley W5PD

                  --- In stationpro@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@...> wrote:

                  > Hi gang,
                  >
                  > Two items: First, a number of SP-II builders have expressed a desire for a
                  > black SP-II front panel that would coordinate better with the other
                  > black-faced equipment in their station. I realize this is "guilding the
                  > lily," but would any of you with cash to spare be interesting in replacing
                  > your SP-II front panel with a custom black-anodized front panel with white
                  > engraved lettering? These would be custom ordered and probably would cost
                  > about $75 each. To make the purchase even remotely affordable, I'd probably
                  > have to order at least twenty, so thought I'd test the waters first to see
                  > if there's any interest. Let me know what you think. (The original panels
                  > were produced in large quantity for me by Ten-Tec, and the quantity
                  > requirements are too great to reorder with a different color. The custom
                  > panels would be made by a different company.) Replacing the front panel in
                  > your SP-II is not difficult, although it would probably be necessary to
                  > replace the power switch (which is easily damaged when removing the panel).
                  > I would supply a new power switch with each panel.
                  >

                  > Second, MPJA.com (where I frequently buy surplus components) has on sale a
                  > 2x16 line LCD display for $4.95 that "ought" to fit perfectly into the SP-2.
                  > It has a pretty blue backlight, and should be quite attractive. I've ordered
                  > a couple to try out and will let you know how they work. The URL is
                  > http://www.mpja.com/07-09-13.asp?r=333669
                  > <http://www.mpja.com/07-09-13.asp?r=333669&s=8> &s=8
                  >

                  > 73,
                  >
                  > Jim W8ZR

                • James Heye
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 10 6:58 AM
                    Count me in for a black panel  !
                    Jim
                    K5WLQ

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Jul 10, 2013, at 6:51 AM, "presley_f" <txpres@...> wrote:

                    Count me in for the black panel!
                    Presley W5PD

                    --- In stationpro@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@...> wrote:

                    > Hi gang,
                    >
                    > Two items: First, a number of SP-II builders have expressed a desire for a
                    > black SP-II front panel that would coordinate better with the other
                    > black-faced equipment in their station. I realize this is "guilding the
                    > lily," but would any of you with cash to spare be interesting in replacing
                    > your SP-II front panel with a custom black-anodized front panel with white
                    > engraved lettering? These would be custom ordered and probably would cost
                    > about $75 each. To make the purchase even remotely affordable, I'd probably
                    > have to order at least twenty, so thought I'd test the waters first to see
                    > if there's any interest. Let me know what you think. (The original panels
                    > were produced in large quantity for me by Ten-Tec, and the quantity
                    > requirements are too great to reorder with a different color. The custom
                    > panels would be made by a different company.) Replacing the front panel in
                    > your SP-II is not difficult, although it would probably be necessary to
                    > replace the power switch (which is easily damaged when removing the panel).
                    > I would supply a new power switch with each panel.
                    >

                    > Second, MPJA.com (where I frequently buy surplus components) has on sale a
                    > 2x16 line LCD display for $4.95 that "ought" to fit perfectly into the SP-2.
                    > It has a pretty blue backlight, and should be quite attractive. I've ordered
                    > a couple to try out and will let you know how they work. The URL is
                    > http://www.mpja.com/07-09-13.asp?r=333669
                    > <http://www.mpja.com/07-09-13.asp?r=333669&s=8> &s=8
                    >

                    > 73,
                    >
                    > Jim W8ZR

                  • Walt Beverly
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 10 11:18 AM
                      Count me in for the black panel -
                      Walt W4GV

                      Sent from my iPad
                    • Michael Raskin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 10 3:19 PM
                        Jim – I would like a new front panel.

                        73,
                        Mike, W4UM

                        Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:25 AM

[...]

                      • Walt Van Arsdale
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 12 2:28 PM

                          Hi, Jim…  pencil me in pse!  73 de K5SXO

                          Walt Van Arsdale

                          Pygmy Wizard Computing

                          903.267.3770 cell

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 12 2:43 PM

                            Thanks, Walt. You're on my list. I really underestimated the demand, so had to increase my order from the manufacturer.

[...]

                          • Don Cunningham
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 12 2:46 PM
                              Jim,

                              Put me down as well for one.  I guess I should "match up" the rigs on the new side, HI.  Thanks,
                              Don, WB5HAK

                              No virus found in this message.

                            • Manuel Maseda
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 14 7:08 AM