Re: RF Issues

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 9, 2013
      Jim,

      I am using HRD for station control. I missed the writeup about cables and have now read through it. I will wire up a custom cable and see if that is the issue. I might try unplugging the rs232 from the k2.

      Thank,
      Jack
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 9, 2013

        Jack,

        Before you go to the hassle of wiring up a cable, just unplug the RS232 cable from your PC and see if the distortion goes away. Or, even easier, just shut down HRD and see if the problem disappears.If you're connecting the RS232 cable directly from the PC to the K2, then that won't cause any interference.. That could only happen if you're routing the RS232 line through the StationPro's 25 wire interconnect cable to the K2. If that's what you've got, then it won't do any good just to disconnect the RS232 cable between the K2 and the K2 pod, since the data signals will still be on the interconnect cable.

        73,

        Jim W8ZR.

        I am using HRD for station control. I missed the writeup about cables and have now read through it. I will wire up a custom cable and see if that is the issue. I might try unplugging the rs232 from the k2.

        Thank,
        Jack

      • Dave Trainor
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 9, 2013

          Hey guys the Shielded DB25's are in and shipping again at Mouser!  Been a month long wait.

          Dave, N8ZFM
        • Jack
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 9, 2013
            Update,

            I replaced the ethernet cable with a 3 foot cat6 cable and that helped quite a bit. I was able to listen to myself on KL7NA server in Walla Walla, WA. At 500 watts on 17 meters (the worst band for me), the signal sounded reasonable -- of course its pretty subjective considering the GLSDR setup. However, I can hear distortion with HRD running. Also the waterfall display goes black when transmitting. I have a length of 7-conductor sheilded cable that I can probably use for a new 25-pin rs232 connection. I don't know if I have the shielded connectors, but noticed the post about them available now. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

            73,
            Jack (W0FNQ)
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 9, 2013

              That’s good news, Jack. You’re making progress. It sounds like you’ve got a combination of RS232 crosstalk and RF pickup. Re changing the RS232 cable, all you need to shield are the mic audio lines and the computer data lines. They have to be independently shielded, of course. You can’t run them through a shared shield.

              I’m not surprised the waterfall display on HRD blacks out when transmitting. The display monitors the receiver, not the transmitter!

              73,

              Jim

              Message 6 of 12 , May 9, 2013
                Jim, et al.

                Some changes here. I sold the K2 and bought a K3. I found individually-shielded-pair cables (2 pairs per sheath.) Then. I made a new RS232 cable following your cable writeup. With the K3, I am able to monitor my audio without transmitting. The direct mic connection with the K3 sounds great, but when routing the mic through the Station Pro, I hear crosstalk with data lines- the rather distinctive data switching sound. I also created a new "Pod" for the K3 following the manual's description. Do you have any other ideas where the crosstalk could be emanating? At this point I am satisfied with running the mic directly to the K3, but I was hoping to use the Station Pro to switch between two mics. Based on on-the-air reports, I seem to have solved the RF issues. 73.

                Jack