RE: [stationpro] Re: RF Issues

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 9 6:53 AM

      Hi Jack,

      I've just started reading this thread. You must have a lot of RF in your shack! Second floor stations are often prone to RF feedback.  Have you considered using a tuned ground (I believe  MFJ makes one) to anchor your equipmnent more closely to ground potential? Also, are you using a shielded ethernet cable between the RF relay unit and the controller of your StationPro?  Most ethernet cables of the sort one buys at Office Depot or Radio Shack are unshielded. Also, make sure your key and speaker leads are shielded.

      There aren't many places where RF can get into the mic line, since the SP controller only directly switches DC, audio, and data. If you've not done so already, you might try systematically disconnecting each line (speaker, key, computer, Amp ALC, etc.) and see if you can pinpoint where the RF is entering.

      Also, can you describe the symptom more fully? What power level do you begin to hear it? What does it sound like? Do you hear any sound from your speakers when the problem begins? Does it make any difference whether you are using headphones or a speaker?

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 9 7:29 AM
        Thanks Jim,

        I have considered the artificial ground (counterpoise), but because I seem to have a clean signal with the mic (equalizer) connected directly, I would rather not go that route. I will look at the ethernet cable more closely; I had not considered that. I have some good cat5 cable if I need to replace.

        Right know I don't have the details of what it sounds like -- only general reports of "bad audio." I have the Android App GLSDR. I don't know if you are familiar with that network? Basically, hams using an SDR setup will connect over the internet so that others can listen to what they receive at their location. It include the ability to select the receiving frequency. I sometimes connect my SDR rig to the network. In that past, I have used this to listen to my station at a distance. I'll give that a go again to see if I can get better info. Otherwise I need to get some more detailed reports under various conditions.

        If I didn't operate both SSB and digital modes, I wouldn't bother with chasing the problem and just directly connect the mic. Thanks for the comments and the great design-- it is overall a great addition to the shack.

        73,
        Jack (W0FNQ)
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 9 7:54 AM

          Hi Jack,

          By any chance are you using computer control of your K2, e.g., HR Deluxe or DX Lab Suite? If so, perhaps your problem isn't RF pickup but rather pickup from the RS232 line getting into your microphone audio. That can happen when using the StationPro with a commercial RS232 cable, since the microphone wires and the PC data are routed through the same 25 wire serial cable? (This possibility is discussed in a writeup on my website.) I didn't think the K2 had a remote data input on the back panel, but I might be mistaken.

          Also, I believe you mentioned you're using a W2IHY audio processor, and if so that might be the source of the problem. Can you temporarily eliminate it and plug your microphone directly into the StationPro controller to see if the problem goes away.

          I'm afraid it's going to be hard to chase down the problem if you can't listen to yourself over the air.

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 9 10:21 AM
            Jim,

            I am using HRD for station control. I missed the writeup about cables and have now read through it. I will wire up a custom cable and see if that is the issue. I might try unplugging the rs232 from the k2.

            Thank,
            Jack
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 9 10:28 AM

              Jack,

              Before you go to the hassle of wiring up a cable, just unplug the RS232 cable from your PC and see if the distortion goes away. Or, even easier, just shut down HRD and see if the problem disappears.If you're connecting the RS232 cable directly from the PC to the K2, then that won't cause any interference.. That could only happen if you're routing the RS232 line through the StationPro's 25 wire interconnect cable to the K2. If that's what you've got, then it won't do any good just to disconnect the RS232 cable between the K2 and the K2 pod, since the data signals will still be on the interconnect cable.

              73,

              Jim W8ZR.

              I am using HRD for station control. I missed the writeup about cables and have now read through it. I will wire up a custom cable and see if that is the issue. I might try unplugging the rs232 from the k2.

              Thank,
              Jack

            • Dave Trainor
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 9 12:20 PM

                Hey guys the Shielded DB25's are in and shipping again at Mouser!  Been a month long wait.

                Dave, N8ZFM
              • Jack
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 9 1:27 PM
                  Update,

                  I replaced the ethernet cable with a 3 foot cat6 cable and that helped quite a bit. I was able to listen to myself on KL7NA server in Walla Walla, WA. At 500 watts on 17 meters (the worst band for me), the signal sounded reasonable -- of course its pretty subjective considering the GLSDR setup. However, I can hear distortion with HRD running. Also the waterfall display goes black when transmitting. I have a length of 7-conductor sheilded cable that I can probably use for a new 25-pin rs232 connection. I don't know if I have the shielded connectors, but noticed the post about them available now. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

                  73,
                  Jack (W0FNQ)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 9 1:47 PM

                    That’s good news, Jack. You’re making progress. It sounds like you’ve got a combination of RS232 crosstalk and RF pickup. Re changing the RS232 cable, all you need to shield are the mic audio lines and the computer data lines. They have to be independently shielded, of course. You can’t run them through a shared shield.

                    I’m not surprised the waterfall display on HRD blacks out when transmitting. The display monitors the receiver, not the transmitter!

                    73,

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 9, 2013
                      Jim, et al.

                      Some changes here. I sold the K2 and bought a K3. I found individually-shielded-pair cables (2 pairs per sheath.) Then. I made a new RS232 cable following your cable writeup. With the K3, I am able to monitor my audio without transmitting. The direct mic connection with the K3 sounds great, but when routing the mic through the Station Pro, I hear crosstalk with data lines- the rather distinctive data switching sound. I also created a new "Pod" for the K3 following the manual's description. Do you have any other ideas where the crosstalk could be emanating? At this point I am satisfied with running the mic directly to the K3, but I was hoping to use the Station Pro to switch between two mics. Based on on-the-air reports, I seem to have solved the RF issues. 73.

                      Jack