StationPro Update -- Important

  • w8zr_santa_fe
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2010
      If you've not ordered your Mouser parts yet for either the SP-I or SP-II, please be sure to download and use the latest order form (5/11/2010) from the website. The new order form has a revised part number for J501, an RJ45 connector that mounts on the RF relay PCB. The new Mouser part number for J501 is 571-6116202-1.

      Here's the reason for the change. The old part number was actually a substitute for an RJ45 connector that I initially used. Unfortunately, Mouser ran out of stock on my initial connector and had to backorder it with a long delivery time. I therefore specified a substitute connector. I checked the pinout of the substitute to make sure it was the same as the original. However, I learned yesterday (thanks to a builder) that the mounting tabs and case dimensions of the substitute are slightly different from the original, and it doesn't fit quite right into the PCB pattern and enclosure cutout. It can be made to work (see below), but isn't as nice a fit as my original. Now Mouser has the initial one back in stock (by the thousands), hence the changed part number.

      If you've already ordered the wrong connector, but haven't built your kit yet, you can use the connector by clipping off the metal side tabs (which aren't needed). You may also have to file the enclosure cutout slightly (about.010") along one edge so the connector will mount vertically. Alternately, I'll be happy to send you the correct connector at no charge, if you email me. It'll take a couple weeks, however, since I'm out of town for a week visiting family and also have to order several of the replacement connectors. I'm sorry for the error. I hope it's the last!
    • Torrey Mitchell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 13, 2010

        This is slightly off subject.  I went to order the new Mouser part for J501.  The website added the new part number to my Station Pro II project.  All the non-backordered parts have already been shipped to me.  If I go to checkout, it wants to charge me again for the almost $300 for the project parts in addition to the new J501 part.  If I try a different approach and order the part individually, I'm not offered the chance to check out...I suspect I have not met the minimum order requirement.

        I'm guessing that others have had the same frustration.  I'd love to have insight from "Mouser pros" among you.  I'll call Mouser later this week if the web procedure remains an enigma to me.

        Thanks and 73,

        Torrey N9PY

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2010

          Hi Torrey,

          So far as I know, Mouser doesn’t have a minimum order requirement. That’s a big reason I prefer Mouser to Digikey. (The other reason is that Mouser’s parts search engine is much more user-friendly, in my opinion.) Don’t bother ordering a new J501.  I ordered a bunch of them yesterday and will send you one gratis when they come in. It was my fault for not checking the dimensions of the other connector more closely. I’m visiting friends in NY this coming week, and will send the connectors out as soon as I get back.

          By the way, when your order arrived from Mouser, did the D-Sub (DB-25 and DB-9) connectors have jack screws attached to them?  When I ordered my connectors, they came with jack screws, but I heard today that some have come without them. If that’s Mouser’s practice now, I’ll add jack screws to the parts list. (I think Radio Shack also sells them; at least it used to.)

[...]

        • Torrey L Mitchell, MD
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 13, 2010
            Jim,
            Tracking says the shipment will be delivered tomorrow.  I'll check the D-sub connectors and get back to you.
            Best 73 Torrey N9PY

            Torrey L Mitchell, MD
            Amateur radio N9PY
            Sent from my iPad