Basic Stamp 2 Substitution?

  • MEricksen
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2012
      I am currently building a StationPro II kit. The construction documents call for a BS2-IC Basic Stamp. I already have a BS2e-IC Basic Stamp in my possession, and seeing that I have not yet ordered the BS2-IC for the kit my question is can I substitute a BS2e-IC in place of a BS2-IC?

      The BS2e-IC runs at the same clock frequency as the BS2-IC, has additional memory, draws some additional current, and has three extra instructions in the instruction set. I can't see any other differences.

      Thanks for the help

      Mark Ericksen
      AD4MA
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2012

        Hi Mark,

        I've not used the BX2-IC, so can't speak from personal experience, but if the pinout is the same as for the BS2-IC it should work fine. I did substitute a BS2SX I had on hand, just to see if it that would work, and it worked fine, though I had to tweak some of the firmware to compensate for the BS2DX's faster clock (the CW came out too high pitched and fast!). With the extra memory of the BS2-E, you could probably fit in a few more features, if you like programming the Stamps. In any case, give it a try, because you can always buy a BS2-IC if necessary. However, I predict it will work perfectly.