Microphone switching among different type rigs

  • k5lr_bill
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2012
      Just starting to put together a StationPro II, and am trying to work out how to handle the microphones.

      I have a Drake T4XC, an IC-765 with the SM-20, and a Flex 5000 (uses Yaesu MD-100 type mics). Not concerned with aux functions like up/down, just want the audio, ptt, and, should I settle on the MD-100 or SM-20, the internal preamp / tone controls.

      The Drake and Flex take dynamic mics, the Icom an electret.

      I would prefer to use the MD-100 with all three rigs. Anyone done this? Problems and solutions?

      I have also considered getting a Heil mic and incorporating the rig adapters at the Pod end of the SP.

      Any suggestions?

      73,

      Bill / K5LR
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2012

        Hi Bill,

        You shouldn’t have any trouble using an MD-100 with all the rigs. You just wouldn’t wire up the mic connector pin on the MD-100 that provides the voltage for the electret mic. I wired both of the mic jacks on the SP2 in my modern station (currently a K3 and an FTDX5K, though I’ve also used an IC-7700) with the Yaesu pinout, wiring all 8 pins. Then I wired my various microphones with matching 8-pin connectors although, like you, I typically only used the PTT and mic +/- wires. With an Icom mic, I also wired the electret voltage pin. I think maybe Elecraft uses that as well.

        I don’t recall the exact details, but I believe I also added a tiny electrolytic (1 uF or so) on the pod PCB for my Icom radio. The electrolytic kept the electret DC voltage from the Icom transceiver off the Mic + wire going to the StationPro, the purpose being to allow non-Icom mics, like the MD-100, from seeing the voltage.   BTW, I currently use a Heil mic and my all-time favorite, a Shure 444D, on my modern station. I used to use an MD-100, which I liked a lot, but I stupidly sold it and “upgraded” to an MD-200, which I hated. So I sold that and am now back to my old standards.

         for tIf you want to use your SM-20, then you use

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2012
          Thanks, Jim. Appreciate the comments. Good idea about the blocking cap.

          73, Bill