Secondary antenna switch needed

  • kc0cqq
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2012
      Jim,
      I briefly discussed this problem with you in Dayton in 2011 but at that time I have not quite thought the problem through. I am only getting to implementing my StationPro II now. Here is the problem again:

      I use a SDR-IQ as a panadapter in a somewhat unconventional way on my radios. The SDR-IQ is fed from an antenna splitter on the RX only line on all 3 radios. This means I need a second RF switch unit in parallel without the amplifier switching part that will switch the SDR-IQ input to each of the radios. Initially I planned to implement this by means of an Ethernet splitter that takes the RF unit control signals to a home brew board with 3 relays that drives a 3-way 24V coax relay (which I happen to have) - then I noticed the StationPro "networking unit" that will actually do what I want to do without having to mess with 24V.

      There are a couple of outstanding questions:

      1. Will the Ethernet cable and circuitry handle 2 units in parallel. I think the relays pull about 35mA - so we are talking about 70mA which sounds reasonable to me.

      2. I will obviously have to make a RJ-45 to RJ-25 interface cable. I already have a commercial Ethernet splitter that just plugs in - so no mods or fancy Y-cables needed.

      3. I guess I will have to ask Harbach how much they will charge for a networking unit since I do not "qualify" through the normal channels.

      Any reason why this would not work or any better ideas?

      73 de NS0W
      Sebastian.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2012

        Hi Sebastian,

        Sorry to take so long responding to your inquiry, but I was in WDC over the holidays visiting my son and his family. My visit coincided with the nightmarish storm which pounded the eastern seaboard, and we were without power for several days.

        I don’t see any reason why your switching idea wouldn’t work fine.  I’ll drop a network PCB in the mail for you (no charge). Let me know how the arrangement works out.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2012
          Hi Jim,

          I got the Network PCB in the mail today - Thanks much. I cannot seem to find the cutting template for the enclosure that you refer to in the Network Manual. Do I download it from somewhere?

          Thanks again & 73,
          Sebastian - NS0W

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2012

            Oops, sorry Sebastian. I forget that it was a separate document from the instruction sheets. I’ve attached it to this email.

            I got the Network PCB in the mail today - Thanks much. I cannot seem to find the cutting template for the enclosure that you refer to in the Network Manual. Do I download it from somewhere?

            Thanks again & 73,
            Sebastian - NS0W

            --- In stationpro@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@...> wrote:

            > Hi Sebastian,
            >
            > Sorry to take so long responding to your inquiry, but I was in WDC over
            the
            > holidays visiting my son and his family. My visit coincided with the
            > nightmarish storm which pounded the eastern seaboard, and we were without
            > power for several days.
            >
            > I don't see any reason why your switching idea wouldn't work fine. I'll
            > drop a network PCB in the mail for you (no charge). Let me know how the
            > arrangement works out.
            >
            > 73,
            >
            > Jim W8ZR
            >

            > _____

            w:st="on">Dayton in 2011 but at that time