RJ45 on Relay Board Does Not Fit

  • jsternmd@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2012
      Jim,

      I am assembling the board with the replacement RJ45 from MOuser - 571-6116202-1. It creates a very tight fit with the plastic feet so I shaved those a bit but the footprint is about 2mm over the board's silkscreening on the inside (parallel and opposite from the edge of the PCB). So when I test assemble the board and screw it down the edge of that RJ45 that is over too far rubs hard against the inside edge of the cutout and it gets pulled off the PCB as I tighten the relay board. Some pins at that point barely are making thru the holes so I am reluctant to solder even not minding the RJ45 looking pretty darn crooked hihi. It's not the SO-239 as they are all loose and have plenty of jiggle room. I think this RJ45 footprint is not an exact replacement from your original specs. Any advice appreciated. Help !!

      73 Jerry
      K1JOS
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2012

        Hi Jerry,

        I’ve noticed that there are some sample-to-sample variations in the dimensions of RJ-45 connectors, even from the same manufacturer. One of my SP-IIs  had the same problem you’re experiencing. The RJ45 connector was rubbing against the inside edge of the cutout, so the connector wouldn’t sit vertically on the PCB.  I just filed the edge of the cutout a bit with flat file, until it fit. Only about 15 mil of metal had to be removed, and it only took a couple of minutes. Had I to do it over, I would have specified a slightly larger hole in the enclosure, but I unwisely trusted the published dimensions of the connector.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2012
          I hate to screw that super nice paint job on the coax box by filing the edge... how come you didnt do something as nice for the front panel??

          I will order a few of the original part # and another 1-2 of the new ones - small price on top of the investment already... just more time to wait. If that doesnt work then its a file and cosmetics come second.

          73 Jerry
          K1JOS