IC Solder or Sockets?

  • jsternmd@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2012
      I spend my time working on boatanchors so assembling the SPII is kind of new tech for me hihi. For the IC's on the microcontroller board like the dual decoder or octal buffer... why not first solder in a dip socket and then just plug these in? I guess these never get zapped and need to be replaced?

      73 Jerry
      K1JOS
    • Scott Hamilton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2012
        I always use sockets with chips because salsa or dip gums them up. Also, I'm never sure how much heat I'm applying to the package by the time I've made it around to all the pins so I'm always afraid of blowing out a gate section or whole function, again, hard to diagnose. So, using a $1 or less socket, to me, is insurance that the chip goes in good to begin with, not that it will ever need replacement.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2012

          Hi Jerry,

          I generally try to avoid using IC sockets, unless it’s a very expensive IC (like the Basic Stamp), or a propietary IC (like the programmed PIC IC, used for the serial LCD driver). For the other ICs in the SP-II, the cost of the sockets is significantly more than the cost of the ICs, and since they’re easy to replace and commonly available, and since the reliability is higher when they’re just soldered into the board, I don’t recommend sockets. So far as I know, no SP builder has had an IC fail yet.