Re: [stationpro] Notching corners Main PCB

  • Scott Hamilton
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2012
      Dremel tool.

      On Jun 6, 2012, at 23:31, "jsternmd@..." <jsternmd@...> wrote:

      How have people notched their main pcb rear corners? I scored through the copper plane with razor knife and then broke the blades tips on my Xcelite wire cutters trying to cut through further. I am thinking of using a nibbler but dont want to crack the PCB in the process. Any suggestions appreciated.

      73 Jerry
      K1JOS

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6, 2012

        I use wire cutters (the kind with a narrow blade, not diagonal cutters.) Never had any problem splitting the fiberglass. A file works well, too.

        Jim W8ZR

        How have people notched their main pcb rear corners? I scored through the copper plane with razor knife and then broke the blades tips on my Xcelite wire cutters trying to cut through further. I am thinking of using a nibbler but dont want to crack the PCB in the process. Any suggestions appreciated.

        73 Jerry
        K1JOS

      • Jerry pittenger
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 7, 2012
          Like Jim, i just used my little nippers. I cut short cut first (about 1/16th inch) and them the longer cut and the corner snapped right out leaving a nice square notch.

          My controller worked first time. I am still making pods. I marvel at the completeness and professionalism of this project. I have a hard time fathoming the amount of time it took Jim to design, document and kit this unit.

          Jerry K8RA Http://www.k8ra.com

          Sent from my iPad
        • Paul Christensen
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 7, 2012
            > I am thinking of using a nibbler but dont want to crack the PCB in the process. Any suggestions appreciated.

            Jerry, I did use an Adel nibbling tool and it worked fine although as others have noted, sharp cutters can be used.

            The SP-II is still my most valued station accessory and routinely use it for remote switching over the Internet.  I have a second SP-II and looking for time to construct it in between too many other projects.

            Paul, W9AC
          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 7, 2012

              I always wanted a Dremel tool !

              I bought one on the way home today and took  15 seconds to smoothly cut off the corners.

              Thanks !!

              73 Jerry

              K1JOS

            • Scott Hamilton