Re: [stationpro] Hi Gang, This week I've been getting my purchasing and inventory-tracking system

  • M Chance
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27, 2010

      Jim,  I'm ready to order, but never did hear if the XLR connectors will work with the stationpro II.

      Mike
      KE7WRJ

      Message 2 of 5 , May 27, 2010
        Jim - just ordered one of the SP-II kits - seemed to go quite well.  Now if I just don't burn down my house in my haste to assemble:-).  Thanks for making these available - will keep you posted on how the assembly goes.

        Thanks

        Ward
        K8FD

        Message 3 of 5 , May 27, 2010

          Hi Mike,

          There are dozens of different styles and types of XLR chassis connectors, so it’s hard to give you a general answer that covers all types. However, I  think you can make at least one type of 3-conductor XLR jack (Mouser part no. NC3-FBH-2 @$2.75/ea) work, though I haven’t tried it.  You would have to file out the front panel hole to make the XLR jack fit, and also drill two small holes in the panel for the jack’s mounting screws. You would also have to enlarge the access hole in the printed circuit board that mounts behind the front panel. This would only be possible for the right-hand mic jack; the left hand mic jack has traces too close to the access hole for it to be enlarged.

          Here’s a summary of the relevant dimensions for the Mouser connector mentioned above. The StationPro’s front panel mic jack hole is 0.625 in. diameter and would have to be enlarged to 0.866 in. The front panel circuit board mounts behind the front panel, with a clearance spacing of 0.550 in, and the diameter of the printed circuit board access hole is 0.750 in. This hole would have to be filed so the back side of the XLR jack could extend through it. Keep in mind that I haven’t tried this, and so I can’t promise you wouldn’t run into any snags.

          Two other options would be to swap your XLR connector for, e.g., a common 8-pin mic connector, or perhaps a mini-XLR connector. Alternately, you could just wire up a short adaptor cable, which is what I would do.

          Hope this answers your question.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 27, 2010
            Jim,  I just ordered the SP2 kit.  Since I've got a full machine shop with milling machines and lathes, I'll just machine up an adapter that will allow me to mount a standard XLR connect to the front panel, with enough stand off so I don't have to mess with the front panel circuit board.  I'll more then likely do it on my Hass CNC mill, so that way I can produce them if anyone else needs them.

            73's,

            Mike
            KE7WRJ

            Message 5 of 5 , May 28, 2010
              Thanks Jim, I ordered a Station ProII kit this evening. I already have most of the parts and it looks like Mouser will complete my backorder by June 15th.

              73's
              Jim
              K5WLQ