Re: [stationpro] "Safety Precaution"

  • Michael Raskin
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2011
      Jim - No rush - just wondering if it can be easily done otherwise I have to re-train.  Problem with "leaving it on" is not the SPII - it's the 12V power supply I worry about keeping on 24/7.

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 31, 2011

        Hi Mike,

        I agree that it’s not a good idea to leave ham-grade power supplies (e.g., Astron, MFJ, etc.) on all the time. Years ago, however, I settled on Lambda and/or Kepco as the two brands of 12V and 24V power supplies for my shack. These are mil-spec grade power supplies and are frightfully expensive (think thousands of dollars) for new ones, but are available dirt cheap (think tens of dollars) on the used market.  They are designed for 24/7 operation at full rated power and maximum temperature. New ones usually come with a five year warranty. Electrically, they have short-circuit protection, current limiting, overvoltage protection, and excellent load and line regulation. The older models are usually linear supplies, which are a bit less efficient than the newer switching supplies, and in my experience they almost never fail. Both types are excellent, and I’ve never found any RFI problems from the switching versions. One can leave them on full-time without any worries, and if something should go wrong (unlikely), they’ll simply shut down. Virtually every component in them is selected for ruggedness and long life.

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2011
          > "Years ago, however, I settled on Lambda and/or Kepco as the two brands of 12V and 24V power supplies for my shack..."

          I second Jim's choice in supplies.  I use Lambda switching supplies to power specialized equipment, like a GPS-DO.  The shack's master +12V supply is a surplus HP 6652A linear type.  All supplies are operated 24/7 through an Ethernet Power Controller, switchable over the Internet.

          To date, I've not yet found a reasonably quiet "ham grade" switching supply.   I have an Astron SS-20 and just recently tried the PowerWerx SS-30Dv supplies.  Prior to adding my own RFI abatement, both supplies generated RFI only on 160m.  Not much, but enough to be an annoyance and could be seen on a panadapter.  At least the Astron uses an RFI/EMI AC power entry module.  The PowerWerx unit is dreadfully devoid of RFI suppression, although it's otherwise an impressive supply.

          Pretty far off-topic already, but I advocate connecting a +12V rig directly to the power supply terminals, and not through distribution panels like the Anderson Powerpole manifold. High current demand through cascaded Powerpoles can turn into quite a bit of voltage drop, even when the connectors have good crimps -- and even when using heavy gauge wire.  For example, on my Elecraft K3, I observed 2.5V drop going through #10 wire and a total of 5 Powerpoles (including the back of the K3.)  Five are required when using the Westmountain DC manifold and their PowerGate device to charge a standby gel battery.

          Paul, W9AC.

[...]

        • n4eco_bob
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 8, 2011
            Mike,

            I've studied the SP II code and have an answer for a default amplifier selected at power up.

            I've put a document with the code change on my web site. http://www.n4eco.com/ N4ECO Links.

            73,

            N4ECO - Bob Archer

            --- In stationpro@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Raskin" <rask1553@...> wrote:

            > Jim - No rush - just wondering if it can be easily done otherwise I have to re-train. Problem with "leaving it on" is not the SPII - it's the 12V power supply I worry about keeping on 24/7.

          • Michael Raskin
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 9, 2011
              Bob - Thanks for the info.  Question:  is line 3 correct? "For Amp # 1?

              For Amp # 1 (If amp=0 THEN amp1)

              For Amp # 2 (If amp=0 THEN amp2)

              For Amp # 1 (If amp=0 THEN amp3)

              I've studied the SP II code and have an answer for a default amplifier selected at power up.

              I've put a document with the code change on my web site. http://www.n4eco.com/ N4ECO Links.

              73,

              N4ECO - Bob Archer

              --- In stationpro@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Raskin" <rask1553@...> wrote:

              > Jim - No rush - just wondering if it can be easily done otherwise I have to re-train. Problem with "leaving it on" is not the SPII - it's the 12V power supply I worry about keeping on 24/7.

            • n4eco_bob
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 10, 2011
                Line three should read
                For Amp # 3 (If amp=0 THEN amp3)
                I've fixed it on my site.
                Sorry about that.

                --- In stationpro@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Raskin" <rask1553@...> wrote:

                > Bob - Thanks for the info. Question: is line 3 correct? "For Amp # 1?
                >
                > For Amp # 1 (If amp=0 THEN amp1)
                > For Amp # 2 (If amp=0 THEN amp2)
                >
                > For Amp # 1 (If amp=0 THEN amp3)
              • Michael Raskin
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 10, 2011
                  Bob - This is what is needed.  Only two minor changes to the code to make it happen.  I set my SPII for amp1 to be the default amp at power up.

                  Thanks again and 73,
                  Mike, W4UM