Can I parallel lines from an 8 pin DIN to audio and PTT?

  • thomasmschaefer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2011
      I have lots of ICOM accessories here as I have all ICOM radios. I wonder there would be any issue with drilling a hole in the back of the sp2 to add an 8 pin DIN so I could parallel those lines to the RX audio, TX audio and PTT lines. I realize I could make a little cable with a 8 pin DIN female to RCA plugs, but I thought it would be cleaner to simply plug in my device that already has an 8 pin DIN.

      Thanks,

      Tom NY4I
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2011

        Hi Tom,

        There’s no problem adding an 8-pin DIN connector to the SP-II’s rear panel, but are you sure you really need to? There’s already a 5 pin DIN connector on the rear panel whose pins are in parallel with the PTT, Line In, Line out, Aux4, and GND connections. Seems like the easiest solution would be just to use the existing 5-pin DIN connector and swap the 8-pin plug on your accessory with a 5-pin plug. Seems to me that would be a lot easier than drilling a hole and wiring up another rear panel jack.

        I have lots of ICOM accessories here as I have all ICOM radios. I wonder there would be any issue with drilling a hole in the back of the sp2 to add an 8 pin DIN so I could parallel those lines to the RX audio, TX audio and PTT lines. I realize I could make a little cable with a 8 pin DIN female to RCA plugs, but I thought it would be cleaner to simply plug in my device that already has an 8 pin DIN.

        Thanks,

        Tom NY4I

      • Thomas Schaefer