Storing programming cable inside SP-II.

  • kc0cqq
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24 9:22 PM
      I just programmed the Basic Stamp this evening and it was a breeze. It seems that if I ever want to re-program it, I would have to remove the back panel connectors to get to the programming cable connector. Is there any reason why I cannot simply leave my programming cable connected and coiled up inside the SPII. If so, I will put a small plastic bag over the DB-9 to make sure that it is insulated from everything else.

      Having the programming cable inside the SPII also has the benefit that I will not misplace it.

      73
      Sebastian - NS0W
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 25 5:47 AM

        Hi Sebastian,

        You might be able to get away with leaving the program cable permanently connected, but I generally don’t advise it. The wires go directly to two of the input ports of the Basic Stamp controller, and could potentially be a source of RF pickup. If the cable was coiled up inside the unit when not in use, you might be okay. There’s no harm in giving it a try.

        Normally, reprogramming the Basic Stamp merely involves removing the top lid of the StationPro and moving the rear panel PCB out of the way. Removing the PCB only takes a couple of minutes (there are six screws and two nuts to take off).