573RE: [stationpro] KPA500 integration

    May 5, 2014

      Afterthought: Lou, having given your situation thirty seconds of additional reflection, I think there may be a better option. One is just to hook your three transceivers up to TRX1, TRX2, and TRX3,  and your three amplifiers to AMP1, AMP2, AMP3, as is normally done. Then edit the firmware listing to lock out two transceivers (the ones that are not the K3) from being able to drive the KPA500. Then you can use the K3 to drive all three amps, but the other transceivers would only be able to drive the higher power amps. There never should be a need to jumper the input and output of any of the amps, since the bypass relay in the unit accomplishes that task for you. The bypass relay is also rated at legal limit + power.

      Jim W8ZR

      From: stationpro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:stationpro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of lladerman@...
      Sent: Monday, May 05, 2014 7:02 PM
      To: stationpro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [stationpro] KPA500 integration

      I am adding an Elecraft KPA500 to my K3, and will have 2 other higher powered amps inline for those times more power is desired. My thought is, so that the Elecraft combo is fully integrated, to use the transceiver 1 position for the K3/KPA500 output, jumper amp 1 input and output so I can get 500 watts to the antenna out jack, and use the other amps in amp 2 and 3 so I can drive them with the K3 (at exciter power of course, no 4CX10000 for me!).

      Are the relays on the transceiver side of the relay box capable of handing 5-600 watts?

      Anybody have any other thoughts for setting this up?

      Lou, W0FK

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic