570RE: [stationpro] Re: The hum problem

    Apr 8, 2014

      Hey, that’s good news, Wayne !  I’ll echo Paul W9AC’s advice, which is that the best way to lick troubling hum and ground loop problems is to make a diagram of all the interconnections and grounds and then think through the reasons why the hum is getting into the circuits. Microphone level audio is only a few mV, so it doesn’t take much to go wrong to cause a problem.

      From: stationpro@yahoogroups.com [mailto: stationpro@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of k4elo@...
      Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 4:11 PM
      To: stationpro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [stationpro] Re: The hum problem

      OK, finally.  After reading Jim's ground loop article for the 4th time, I got it.  The Heil Gold Elite is wired as an unbalanced mic.  Heil says connect the shield to pin 1.  Which I did and ... hum.   Today I disconnected the shield from pin 1 at the mic end and connected the black wire instead.  Then rewired the other end of the mic connector so the black wire was mic - and the shield was only connected to ground at the SPII end.  Result was no hum.  Completely gone.  Thanks for the good advice Jim.

      73
      Wayne
      K4ELO

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic