562RE: [stationpro] Hum

  • Torrey Mitchell
    Mar 28 11:26 AM

      Wayne,

      Try this………

      Disconnect the FLEX pod cable from the back of the SP II.  See if this makes a difference.  You did not say if there is hum on the FLEX audio.

      I fretted for months about a suddenly developing hum/noise on my audio.   It was first reported to me while I was using the Tentec Orion II as net control.   At the time, I switched over the Elecraft K3 to finish the net.  Alas, the same noise was reported on my K3 audio.  I figured it was a problem in the W2IHY audio chain.  The noise came and went and the W2IHY boxes checked out OK.  After some weeks, I concluded that the noise only appeared if I had both the K3 and the Orion II turned on.  Finally, it became obvious that simply slightly wiggling whatever mic cable was screwed into the K3 caused the noise to worsen leading to high level feedback.  I worked with Elecraft who felt there was “something loose” on the PCB behind the front panel (where the solder pins of the jack are soldered) which was aggravated by any movement of the mic jack.  The K3 is on its way to Elecraft for them to figure it out and do all applicable updates.

      The reason for sharing the story is this…

      The noise emanating from the K3 panel jack somehow also appeared (and was first noticed) on my Orion II signal.  The assumption is that the SP II box was the only commonality between the two transceivers.  So I am wondering if removing the FLEX pod cable might be instructive.

      My Orion II is now in use at another operation position and has no issues.  It was replaced at my main operating position by the TS-990S as you know.

      I’ll keep following this thread.  I’m really curious.

      73 Torrey N9PY