530RE: [stationpro] Re: Bleed of Audio from Transceiver 1 into Transceivers 2 and 3 [2 Attachments]

    Jan 4, 2014

      Ariel,

      You've got contradictory measurements! If you measure the resistance at the end of the coax jumper and it shows 50 ohms, and then you plug the coax jumper into your RigExpert SWR meter and it shows a 4:1 SWR, and you independently show that the SWR meter is working properly, then the only plausible thing that could be wrong isĀ  (a) your measurement hookup isn't what you think ir ia, or (b) you've got a bad coax adaptor(s) between the BNC output of the RigExpert and the PL-259 connector at the end of the coax cable.

      From: stationpro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:stationpro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Lionking45
      Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2014 9:09 AM
      To: stationpro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [stationpro] Re: Bleed of Audio from Transceiver 1 into Transceivers 2 and 3 [2 Attachments]

      Jim

      I did exactly as you said and the VOM reads 50 ohms - photo below

      However,  it can't be the SWR meter because it reads SWR 1.0 connected to the dummy load as shown below

      Ariel NY4G

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jan 4, 2014, at 10:25 AM, "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@...> wrote:

      Well, looking at your photo, your setup looks very straightforward, Ariel. I'm assuming you're getting the high SWR with TRX1 selected and the AMP BYPASS mode selected. Here's an easy test.  WIth the setup exactly as shown in the photo, disconnect the cable from your RigExpert SWR meter and measure the resistance between the center pin of the free end of the coax jumper and ground. It should show the same resistance as your dummy load. When you disconnect the dummy load, it should show an open circuit. Be sure you have the amp bypass mode selected and also the correct transceiveer port.  If you get an erroneous reading, then measure independently the resistance of your dummy load. If the reading is correct, then suspect your SWR meter as the problem.

      Re the diodes, no, I don't think those are the problem. They're wired across the relay coils and don't have any impact on the RF. If the relays are working, then the diodes are fine.

      On Jan 4, 2014, at 8:32 AM, "lionking45@..." <lionking45@...> wrote:

        Jim,

      I already just re-did all of my jumpers and cables and verified each one. I placed a dummy load right at the output of the RF Box and the input directly with a short jumper and an analyzer - all the jumpers are verified good. The SWR reads 4.2. I have a post from yesterday at 3 PM that reported all the readings. I think I have a bad solder joint in the RF switch box and perhaps even bad ground connections. Should I check diode functioning? I have not opened up the unit . I needed to know whether I should focus there or not.

      I have not run more than 1000 watts through the RF switch.

      Ariel NY4G

      --- In stationpro@yahoogroups.com, MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@...> wrote:

      > Ariel, If the continuity between the various connectors on the RF unit are
      > correct, then you can most likely assume the unit is working properly. So
      > long as you're not running more than 3 or 4 KW into a high SWR antenna, the
      > relays in the relay unit should should handle the power easily. If you
      > like, you can undo the six sheet metal screws in the RF unit and remove the
      > cover. You can tell at a glance if the center pins on the coax jacks are
      > all sorted properly. I could be wrong, of coarse, but my guess is you may
      > have a bad coax connector on a cable somewhere.
      >
      > FYI, The relay unit has a negligible SWR up through the 6m band.
      > 73,
      > Jim
      >
      > Sent from my iPad
      >
      > On Jan 3, 2014, at 22:08, "lionking45@..." <
      > lionking45@...> wrote:
      >

      > This appears to have resolved itself for right now. My bigger problem is
      > the high SWR through the RF Switch Box. Is it time to open the RF switchbox
      > and check the soldering and ground connections?
      >
      > Ariel NY4G
      >
      > --- In stationpro@yahoogroups.com, MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Ariel,
      > > It sounds like you are not running the audio output from all three
      > > transceivers through the StationPro into a common speaker. When you select
      > > a transceiver, the audio and antenna connections from the other
      > > transceivers are automatically disconnected. If you have separate speakers
      > > on any of your I selected transceivers, then you are likely to hear the
      > > signal from your selected transceiver. The StationPro shorts to ground the
      > > antenna input on unselected transceivers, so the signal that bleeds
      > through
      > > to them is not strong.
      > > 73, Jim W8ZR
      > > Sent from my iPad
      > >
      > > On Jan 2, 2014, at 19:25, "lionking45@" <
      > > lionking45@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi Group. I have yet another problem in that the audio or RF signal from
      > > Transceiver 1 is heard when I switch to Transceiver positions 2 and 3. The
      > > converse is not true. The RF signal of Transceiver 2 is isolated and
      > cannot
      > > be heard when I switch to either TX1 or TX3. There is no attenuation odf
      > > the signal from TX1 in TX2 or TX3 positions. Any help is appreciated.
      > >
      > > Ariel NY4G

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic