      From: stationpro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:stationpro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Torrey Mitchell
      Sent: Friday, January 03, 2014 10:59 PM
      To: stationpro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [stationpro] Sudden Loss of Amp Keying

      My station has been on most of the day…just “reading the mail”.  Late this evening, as I was getting ready to turn everything off, I noticed that I had lost amp keying.  Neither rig keys up any amplifier.

      It may be related to my experience last night.  I checked into the Collins net about 2200 last night.  I used the Orion II driving the Drake L7 amplifier.  It keyed the amp normally.  However, as soon as I gave it any power by modulation or by just hitting the TUNE button, the T/R relay in the L7 began to chatter like crazy.  Before I knew it, the L7 lost plate current while the plate voltage was normal.  I think it blew the HV “fuse” resistor in the power supply.   I don’t recall transmitting at all today.  So it is possible that my amp keying problem started last night.

      Can someone help me think what is going on here.  The POD amp key lines from both the K3 and the Orion II are connected.  The amp key lines are all plugged into the back of the SPII.  Do you think my L7 relay chatter could have caused SPII damage?  I doubt a component in the SPII could have caused the relay chatter, because last night (after the Drake L7 died) I was able to key the Alpha amp and the Elecraft KPA-500 amp normally from the Orion II and the Elecraft K3.  At least that is my memory of last night.  So why is there no amp keying this evening?

      My SPII is modified with an interrupt in the keying line which goes to an N8LP SteppIR Tuning Relay box.  I measured the resistance between the (2) RCA jacks that are connected to the N8LP relay box.  With the transmitter not keyed I get 7.76 kilo ohms (shouldn’t it be zero ohms?).  With the transmitter keyed, I get 16.6 meg ohms.  A jumper between the two RCA jacks does not restore amp keying.

      Usually the explanation for weird behavior in the station can eventually be explained by some cable or plug pulling loose.  Can someone think of some cable disconnection that could explain this?  Or do you think a keying component in the SPII was damaged?

      Thank you for your thoughts.

      Best 73 Torrey N9PY