244Re: LCD does not display anything

  • thomasmschaefer
    Sep 17, 2011
      Thanks Jim.

      The chap I bought it from did say it was built except for the pods but I think he forgot to solder the front side of the LCD header. Just above the LCD, it was simply NOT soldered. Unless the PIC went bad, I don't see how it could have ever worked.

      I did take the front panel partially apart enough to solder the header. I have voltage where I am supposed to but still no display. I also do not have any CW being sent even though the relays are clicking upon startup. It does appear to program just fine. Have you ever seen a similar issue if there was an issue with the PIC?

      Short of that, I will have to disassemble the whole front and recheck every single solder joint. So, the cautionary tale of not knowing how it was put together before you. :)

      Thanks,

      Tom NY4I
      --- In stationpro@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@...> wrote:

      > Tom, Your symptoms suggest a bad solder connection. If the LED for TX2
      > blinks as you push on the LCD, then that almost surely is an intermittent
      > connection to the +5V supply. The relevant +5V traces on the front panel PCB
      > go from pins 24-25 of P307, over to C310, and then to pins 3,4, and 14 of
      > U301. Also, the +5V feed to the LCD goes through R316 (a 10 ohm resistor)
      > to pin 15 of the LCD header J305. I suggest you check all those solder
      > joints, as well as all the joints on the LCD header (both ends). Since
      > pushing on the display causes an intermittent problem, I'd guess there's an
      > unsoldered connection somewhere, or a cold solder joint. Let me know what
      > you find.
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Jim W8ZR
      >

      > _____