Re: [Star Trek Books] Star Trek Novel Encyclopedia Project

  • James McCain
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
      I was I think the first to mention the concept at Psi Phi a couple of years
      ago. Without my knowledge a fellow timeliner of mine set up the site to
      post material and I was made one of the moderators. We got off to a very
      slow start and instead of dividing up books to read and gathering raw data
      entirely too much time was given to discussion on how to format the data to
      submit. No one could agree on anything. We all had ideas and really couldnt
      come to any consensus. At some point the ownership of the site was turned
      over to another and since that time I became disenchanted with the entire
      project and quit. With the shear volume of books now being released it is
      almost an impossible task to compile even an online version of a novel
      encyclopedia. It is a noble project and I would love to see it succeed but
      from my experience it will not.

      Jim

      Live long and prosper!
      NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT
      James R. McCain, Jr.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
        Formating etc. has all been decided by now. And data
        gathering has begun. Now we just need the bodies to
        gather the data :-) It will take time, but the more
        people researching the faster it will go. The ball is
        rolling, now if we can just get it to pick up a little
        momentum.

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • James McCain
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
          Data gathering is the most important thing. I strongly suggest that you
          allow anyone joining to send it data to send it in in unorganized raw
          format. The data is much easier and faster to collect that way and more
          people I think would be involved. The discussions over formatting slowed
          the entire process down 2 years ago. The formatting can be done at a later
          date. Concentrate on getting the books placed. Having people to place new
          books and storied as they come out I think is the most important thing to
          do. I also suggest typing and printing up some flyers about the project to
          put on the freebee table at shore leave. Even if you only pick up one
          person to place stuff you are making headway.

          Jim

          Live long and prosper!
          NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT
          James R. McCain, Jr.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
            Thanks for the ideas and input Jim. I too feel that
            now that all the decisions over format's etc have been
            ironed out just getting all the research done is the
            next step, and it will be the most labor intensive and
            time consuming. The more bodies involved the faster
            it will go :-)

            Jackie

            --- James McCain <jrmccain@...> wrote:

            > Data gathering is the most important thing. I
            > strongly suggest that you allow anyone joining to
            send it data to send it in in unorganized raw
            > format. The data is much easier and faster to
            > collect that way and more people I think would be
            involved. The discussions over formatting slowed
            > the entire process down 2 years ago. The formatting
            > can be done at a later date. Concentrate on getting
            the books placed. Having people to place new
            > books and storied as they come out I think is the
            > most important thing to do. I also suggest typing
            and printing up some flyers about the project to
            > put on the freebee table at shore leave. Even if
            > you only pick up one person to place stuff you are
            making headway.

            > Jim

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • djs0013
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
              Yes, most definitely what you both said about gathering data. That
              is the most important at the moment. All else (formatting,
              organizing, etc.) can come later. And (also like Jackie said) I
              agree things have pretty much been ironed out and now what we need is
              forward motion.

              :)