Project Proxima Centauri One

  • Chris Raney
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 8:49 AM
      Since the early sixties (ca.1963), when Lost In Space made American's
      aware of the fact that our closest stellar neighbor was the Alpha,
      Beta, Proxima star system, I have wanted to see a probe sent there.
      This trinary star system is appromately 4.2± light years from us.
      Proxima Centauri being the closest. With the technology of 1963, a
      probe would have already been there by now (~ 30 years ±). I am
      confident that we would have confirmed the existence of a number of
      other planets years ago, and quite possibly, the existence of life to
      some degree. The chances of finding life somewhere around three stellar
      companions in such close quarters is very high. But even without the
      detection of life there, getting a glimpse of other solar systems would
      be staggering.
      With the technology we posses today, we would not only get there much
      faster, but be able to sense traces of life easier and obtain superior
      multi-spectral data (eg. photographs). To my knowledge, there are no
      current plans for such a project ( If there is, let me know). Whether
      there is or not, there is no reason why a project could not be started
      now. Should such a project be started now, there is plenty of time for
      all of us to share in the rewards. Rather than dreaming about the
      future, or satisfying our needs through books, movies or TV shows about
      the future, why not try to make it happen in reality today for our
      tomorrows? I relish every good sci-fi that comes around but find
      real-sci much more rewarding. I want to see those other worlds, and
      probably much, much more.
      Instead of a simple one main probe being sent, a cluster of probes to
      break off and head in different directions would possibly be more
      efficient for such a mammoth undertaking. A single shot today would
      gain us continuous knowledge coming in for around the next fifty years,
      or more. Such a mission would probably spawn new projects to visit
      there. Such a project would change the way we view ourselves. It would
      effect our sciences, our societies, our ambitions, and if we're
      fortunate enough, our theological perspectives. Even if we only find a
      fungus somewhere, we won't be alone or unique anymore in the universe.
      If we continue to wait for our government alone to do a project like
      this, it will never happen in our lifetimes. The government not only
      works slow, but is run by "old", predominately male, power hungry, self
      aggrandizing, comfortable, corrupt, static in most senses of the word,
      science ignorant people with one foot closer to the grave than not.
      Their lives are winding down physically, intellectually and they are
      spiritually stagnant. This kind of a bold cause, reaching for the
      stars, is for the youthful and insightful in spirit. People who are
      still growing and expanding intellectually. People who are not as
      interested in power as they are in seeking new knowledge about the
      universe that surrounds us and making that happen. Changing sci-fi into
      real-sci for themselves and everyone else.
      A project like Proxima Centauri One, can be done if enough voices
      speak at the same time, in harmony and in numbers that demand that our
      calling is justified and honorable, in the name of the human quest for
      mind-expanding knowledge .
      Such a quest can be won. Such a trek, can be taken, by us. We, the
      people! The realistic dreamers of today to fulfill our dreams about
      tomorrow.
      Share with me your thoughts on these things. Share this message with
      others. Who knows, maybe such a project will get started sooner, than
      never.

      regards,
      Phairoh

      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 9:23 AM
        Hi, Chris, Good Idea. But, it would most likely have to be a private undertaking by someone (s) with deep pockets to put up the credits for this type of deal. It's goning to be a long time down the road for something like this I'm afraid. Don H.

        Chris Raney <phairoh@...> wrote: Since the early sixties (ca.1963), when Lost In Space made American's

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • April Payne
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 12:05 PM
          I find myself wondering, do you mean you hope to disprove the existence of God, or to prove it? I, for one, believe He created all of the universe, from the cockroaches on Earth --- to whatever lifeforms we may find on other planets! I, also, find the project a worthy cause, as laid out by you, but I do think we'll have a greater chance of achievement if we do this as a private venture. Start passing around the hat! And as far as the politicians go, they quite often respond to the people's perceived needs. It was the cry of the populace that discouraged the space program, with their claims that the copious amounts of money that went into space should be spent on the needs of society. How short-sighted, but noisy, are the few, who in their attempts to be heard, ignore the needs of the many! They fail to realize that the advances perpetuated by our reach toward the stars is what gave us some of our most advanced medical equipment, from diagnostic to research, to name only one slight advantage. It does cycle back around to the needs of the people, in the long run. It merely takes time, as do all worthwhile things. It is the new frontier, and humans, being what they are, shall go forth and explore it! Saints preserve us from more such political blindness! I say, dam the torpedos, (in this case the rockets) and full (or is that warp?) speed ahead, the heavens await us! Lol April

          Chris Raney
          wrote: <Such a project would change the way we view ourselves. It would