Re: [Star Trek Books] Enterprise Officers Manual Article.

  • April Payne
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7 9:40 AM
      Perhaps so, as this one did not appear on the back page as you instructed. There is no such article in my copy. Oh, wait---I just flipped through the book again, and here it is!!!! Wish my scanner would work! I'll have to hand type it.
      April
      p.s. I noticed two typos on their part, not mine, lol. I've noted them in [ ]. Here it is, glad I could help.
      The New York Times
      September 8, 1992
      Eugenic Supermen:
      Saviors or Dictators?
      Bioligical and behavioral research, always warmly received in governmental circles, has made tremendous progress in the century since Darwin and Mendel. But only in the last two decades has it become possible to alter the genetic makeup of a man, and so create, a different human being---although not necessarily a better one.
      Ready to take advantage of the enormous strides in eugenic research was an international group of biologists and genetiscists who, since the mid-sixties, have been literally playing God with the lives of children obtained through sometimes legal, sometimes illegal means. As the raw material for a race of genetically-improved supermen, these children were raised and educated under carefully controlled conditions. They were taught to use their great powers to better mankind---but not significantly, how. Once these supermen had reached maturity, they were deemed ready to enter the world and hopefully change it for the better. But events succeeding have shown that the project's controllers forgot one very important factor in the creation of their supermen: their emotional and moral development. Once entrenched in the governments of the third world---Latin America, Mediterranean and sub-Sagaran Africa, Central Asia---the supermen were quick to take advantage of popular support and increase their political power; through military allies in the Communist Bloc and intensive propoganda campaigns, they have gained what amounts to dictatorial control of these areas. In the midst of the political turmoil that has characterized the third world during the pasty [their error, not mine *g*] forty years, these leader[s] offer order. And the people believe them; in droves they flock to their support.
      Perhaps inevitably, the supermen now begin to tell their people that it is their responsibility to extend the blessings of order to other areas of the world, and thus to end the exploitation which, they maintain, has been going on for so long. It is now painfully evident to the instigators of the project, and to the world at large, that these men have been given great power, but not the knowledge or the wisdom to use it.
      Michael Edward Johnson <EDDIEJOHN74@...> wrote:April, Thank you for posting this article.I have never seen it and am
      glad to have it -however this actually isnt the one I was referring
      to.The one I was talking about was entitled 'Eugenic Supermen:
      Saviors or Dictators?' and it appears as an article in The New York
      Times from September 8,1992 on the last page of the Enterprise
      Officers Manual.I think there may have been more than 1 book with
      that title.

      Michael J

      --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, April Payne
      <april_anastasia@y...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Sorry this took so long, but I had a noon appointment! The
      following is my hand typed copy of the page you wanted. The word
      trail in the sentence that reads trail run, is as it appears on the
      page. I believe the original typist may have meant trial run, but
      just in case I typed it, as is!
      > April
      >
      > May 13, 1990 Geoffrey
      Mandel

      NASA Liason
      > Dr. Imran Ahmed
      > Staff Consultant
      > Project SETI
      > Arecibo, Puerto Rico
      > Dear Imran,
      > Enclosed are the prospectives on the new sleeper ships--I thought
      you'd be interested. UESPA is still calling this stuff top secret,
      so please don't show these around. With any luck, the Botany Bay
      will be ready for a Mars expedition sometime in 1994, after we put
      the Savannah through a trail run. Then, on to the asteroid belt! No
      word yet on whether the General Assembly will authorize funds for the
      other seven, but it looks like 1995 at the earliest.
      > I've already put in my application for the Botany Bay, and if you
      plan to do the same, you better hurry--there are a lot of science
      fiction readers in our generation that will jump at the chance to
      colonize a new planet. I know that we never expected anything like
      this to come along during our "Star Trek" days at Columbia.
      > Have you been following this "supermen" business? It's a bit
      frightening to realize that during the clone scares in the 80's,
      there was already a group of eugenically altered twenty-year-olds
      living in South America. Everybody seems quite excited over the
      prospect of perfect bodies and longer lives for their children, and
      the supermen got quite a reception here in New York. I was watching
      the celebration from my office window, and they don't look superior
      to me--if anything, they looked rather bored with the whole thing.
      > Any news about that terrestrial planet you fellows have found
      around Alpha Centauri? It should be a good candidate for Project
      Daedalus, if we ever get it off the ground. We still hope to have a
      practical starship on the drawing boards by 2000--any ideas?
      > Best wishes,
      > (signature Geoffrey)
      > GM:ol
      >

      > Michael Edward Johnson <EDDIEJOHN74@H...> wrote:A thousad times
      thank you April
      > --- In startrekbooks@yahoogroups.com, April Payne
      > <april_anastasia@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > > I've got the manual you're looking for. If I can get my scanner
      > work properly, (and so far I never have since I first got this
      thing,
      > lol) I'll scan it for you, otherwise I'll hand type it in, and pray
      > I'm not called on the carpet for any kind of copyright infringement!
      > > April
      > > Michael Edward Johnson <EDDIEJOHN74@H...> wrote:There is a old
      > (70's or 80's?) Star Trek tech manual called the
      > > Enterprise Officers Manual.On the last page there is an article
      > from
      > > a 1992 New York times about Khan and his Eugenic supermen.If
      anyone
      > > has access to this book I would greatly appreciate it if you
      could
      > > post the text of that article or email it to me.
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > Service.

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.