Revisionist Trek History

  • Michael Edward Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
      The Original Series and TNG presented the Eugenics Wars of the 1990's
      and World War III of the mid to late 21st Century as 2 different
      conflicts. DS9,Voyager and Enterprise have all basically ignored the
      Eugenics Wars.The 2 great new books by Greg Cox about the Eugenics
      Wars present them as having taken place "behind the scenes" .They are
      great books, but their premise does contradict what was presented in
      the Original Series that the Eugenics Wars were very public
      conflicts.I just found a great April Fools Day article on Star
      Trek.com that deals with this issue and more.Enjoy.

      04.01.03 Star Trek's Historical Veracity Questioned

      A recent study by sociologists has concluded that many of the events
      depicted on the popular TV show Star Trek are in fact just made up
      and have not transpired. In fact, the study goes on to conclude, the
      events are unlikely to ever happen. Proof came in the form of
      correlation and reconciliation of events portrayed on the show, and
      reality.

      One of the first instances cited was the distinct lack of evidence
      for the fabled "Eugenics Wars" that supposedly happened in the 1990s
      and featured a race of genetically enhanced "supermen." After
      scouring the planet searching for recorded evidence of these
      supermen — and their evil destructive ways — sociologists could only
      conclude that perhaps someone just made these guys up to serve as an
      allegory for the direction humanity could be heading if it didn't
      check itself.

      One such "superman," Khan Noonien Singh, simply doesn't exist,
      according to the historical birth database. For that matter, neither
      does his "sleeper ship" the S.S. Botany Bay. When contacted, NASA
      officials claimed no knowledge of this particular ship designation,
      although one spokesman said he had heard of something, perhaps in
      India, where they were working on a project of this nature. But, he
      wanted to stress, he could not confirm this story.

      Another infamous person from Star Trek, one "Edith Keeler" also does
      not exist. One possible explanation is that her name was changed to
      protect her identity. Google searches did find several variations on
      the name Edith Keeler, which has inspired some to claim that maybe
      her character's name was merely a typo. But one thing remains
      certain: It is highly unlikely that a woman from 1930s America could
      be a respected peace advocate. File this story under "Fiction."

      There are numerous other examples of dodgy history in Star Trek: Does
      anyone remember Rain Robinson? Of course not — she didn't exist! (One
      thing this sociological team would like to point out is that it is
      also highly unlikely that an Earth female born in California in the
      early 1970s would have a pretentious hippie name synonymous with
      nature.) Once again, true fiction. But what's even stranger about
      Rain Robinson is the fact that she was shown working at the "SETI
      lab" at the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles. Records indicate
      that she was never employed at this location, nor has there ever been
      a SETI lab at Griffith Observatory. For that matter, her
      program's "sponsor," a "Henry Starling," never made the Fortune 500
      list, was never profiled in Vanity Fair, nor was his
      company, "Chronowerx," ever a registered corporation.

      Remember that "famous" country-and-western singer Sonny Clemonds? No?
      Good, neither do we. In our own bit of research, we checked the
      Billboard charts and all available album/singles release databases,
      and we can find absolutely nothing on this supposed late 20th-century
      songster. Maybe we can count ourselves lucky on this one.

      Other examples of historical misappropriation include: two whales
      named George and Gracie supposedly disappearing from Earth in the mid
      1980s; the launching of the Nomad probe by its "creator" Jackson
      Roykirk; the so called Millenium Gate; the town of Carbon Creek; Gary
      Seven. You get the picture.

      However, at least one critic of this report claims that we are not
      taking into account alternate realities, the mirror universe, basic
      time travel, quantum fluxes or a simple rip in the fabric of the
      space-time continuum to allow for the "possibility" that these things
      might happen. If they haven't already.

      One of the instigations for this study was a request by an
      unidentified alien race — distinguished by their distinctive blue
      outfits, black bowl-cut hair styles, funny speech patterns and goofy
      grins — who are reported to monitor closely all the events on Star
      Trek. They accept each show as a historical document on
      Federation/Starfleet space travel and, upon a recent visit to Earth,
      they were disappointed when they couldn't just drop in and visit the
      young Gabriel Bell and offer him some guidance on what will be his
      turbulent adult years. This group has also reportedly been spotted
      seeking autographs at Star Trek conventions on more than one
      occasion.
    • jabriol
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
        You really put a lot of thought on this.

        because of meddlesome time travelers history has been
        changed.. except in our literature :-)

        --- Michael Edward Johnson <EDDIEJOHN74@...>

        http://tax.yahoo.com
      • bknab@juno.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
          Actually, this article was published on the official Star Trek website,
          as part of their April Fools Day special articles.

          Only $9.95 per month!
          Visit www.juno.com