Vulcan question

  • David
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
      Okay, this may or may not be the best place to ask this, but I
      figure it's worth a shot...

      I am re-reading "Spock's World" (one of my all-time favorite Trek
      books), and I got curious about something about the Vulcan people:

      Has anyone ever stated just what the average Vulcan life expectancy
      is? And if someone has heard or read it somewhere, where did you see
      it?

      Live Long and Prosper!

      --David
    • April Payne
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
        I wish I could answer that definitively for you, but somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my brain I recall something about Vulcans living about 2 times as long as humans --- which got translated to approximately 250 years. But I can't cite the source it's been way too long, and most likely it was one of the books or an off-handed remark made during an interview on the subject from somebody affiliated with the show. But I would love it, too, if anyone had a more direct source.
        April
        David <davidf99216@...> wrote:Okay, this may or may not be the best place to ask this, but I
        figure it's worth a shot...

        I am re-reading "Spock's World" (one of my all-time favorite Trek
        books), and I got curious about something about the Vulcan people:

        Has anyone ever stated just what the average Vulcan life expectancy
        is? And if someone has heard or read it somewhere, where did you see
        it?

        Live Long and Prosper!

        --David

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • April Payne

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
            --- In startrekbooks@y..., "David" <davidf99216@y...> wrote:

            "I am re-reading "Spock's World" (one of my all-time favorite Trek
            books), and I got curious about something about the Vulcan people:

            Has anyone ever stated just what the average Vulcan life expectancy
            is? And if someone has heard or read it somewhere, where did you see
            it?"

            That's funny David I just picked that up last night to reread. I
            don't recall the average life expectancy being specified just
            mentions of Vulcan's living much longer than humans. Sarek was only
            considered middle-aged at 104. I remember someone being mentioned
            (a vulcan character whose name escapes me at the moment) as being
            over 200.

            One possible place to check for a definative answer would be
            this great Vulcan site:
            http://home.teleport.com/~vli/vlif.htm

            Anyone know?

            Jackie
          • mxpalmieri
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
              --- In startrekbooks@y..., "David" <davidf99216@y...> wrote:
              > > Has anyone ever stated just what the average Vulcan life
              expectancy
              > is? And if someone has heard or read it somewhere, where did you
              see
              > it?

              In The Making of Star Trek by Stephen R. Whitfield (Ballantine
              Books), concept notes on Spock, and Vulcans in general, explicitly
              mention a 240-
              year lifespan. This is where it comes from.

              Marco
            • April Payne
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
                I have that book --- been on my shelf for ages. I knew I had read that somewhere! Thanks for solving the mystery. :)
                April

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
                  I don't remember reading any set number, but I'm pretty sure they can
                  live to at least 150.

                  On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 05:19:29 -0000 "David" <davidf99216@...>
                  writes:
                  > Okay, this may or may not be the best place to ask this, but I
                  > figure it's worth a shot...
                  >
                  > I am re-reading "Spock's World" (one of my all-time favorite Trek
                  > books), and I got curious about something about the Vulcan people:
                  >
                  > Has anyone ever stated just what the average Vulcan life expectancy
                  > is? And if someone has heard or read it somewhere, where did you see
                  >
                  > it?
                  >
                  > Live Long and Prosper!
                  >
                  > --David
                  >

                  > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to