Re: Does anyone remember the DS9: Rebels trilogy?

  • mcfari
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
      Dawn,

      You're not off base. I purchased these books and got through about
      the first 3 chapters of the first book and put it down.

      The characterizations were off.

      Compare these to other good Trek novels like 'Twilight' or Rogue and
      you'll see a big difference.

      Daffyd's first book for DS9 (Fallen Heroes) was 3 million times
      better.

      Someday, I'll finish the Trilogy...maybe by the 22nd century...

      --- In startrekbooks@y..., "pherretgrrl" <pherretgrrl@y...> wrote:
      > I know this is WAY off the normal track of conversation, but think
      > way back - no REALLY way back, to a trio of books written by
      Daffyd
      > ab Hugh. About Bajor, and the turn over of DS9 to the Bajorans.
      > picked these books up quite cheaply - free. That should have
      warned
      > me. Not that I'm complaining, wait, no - I am - But I picked them
      > up none the less, and I'm halfway through the second. And I'm
      > having a really a REALLY hard time keeping intrest. Usually, even
      > if it's so/so (IMHO), but still Star Trek related I'll slug it
      out.
      > The characterizations are off, and I'm wondering what exactly Mr.
      Ab
      > Hugh was on when wrote it and who let this one slip through the
      > basic idea pile. Bah. Maybe I'm just tired and frustrated and
      > leting it out on a captive audiance :) Just wanted to know if
      > anyone else had read these and ran into some of the same snags, or
      > if I'm way off base and should start over...
      > The slightly exasperated,
      > Dawn
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
        If it makes ya feel any better, I paid full price for all three at
        Barnes & Noble last year. The only reason I bought them was because
        of the incredible Fallen Heroes.

        I was robbed!

        Talking horse things, an ensign in command of the Defiant, the
        Defiant submerged under water communicating with a giant jellyfish,
        AND a religious leader in charge of the station - what the hell!?!?!?

        I was going through my shelves the other day, to make room for new
        books and the Rebels trilogy were the first ones I threw into
        the "get rid of" box.

        Tom
        http://www.angelfire.com/trek/avatar/main.html
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
          --- Tom <od0_ital2@...> wrote:
          "If it makes ya feel any better, I paid full price
          for all three at Barnes & Noble last year. The only
          reason I bought them was because of the incredible
          Fallen Heroes."

          "I was robbed!"

          LOL--You took the words right out of my mouth.

          I too purchased the rebels trilogy based on the
          strength of Fallen Heroes. It was pretty
          disappointing. He wrote another DS9 novel called
          "Vengence" too. I don't think the author has written
          more trek since the rebels books.

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • dancepederson
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
            no, but if you hum a few bars I might be able to remember the tune.

            --- In startrekbooks@y..., Jackie Bundy <msferengi@y...> wrote:

            > --- Tom <od0_ital2@y...> wrote:
            > "If it makes ya feel any better, I paid full price
            > for all three at Barnes & Noble last year. The only
            > reason I bought them was because of the incredible
            > Fallen Heroes."
            >
            > "I was robbed!"
            >
            > LOL--You took the words right out of my mouth.
            >
            > I too purchased the rebels trilogy based on the
            > strength of Fallen Heroes. It was pretty
            > disappointing. He wrote another DS9 novel called
            > "Vengence" too. I don't think the author has written
            > more trek since the rebels books.
            >
            > Jackie

            > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Tom
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
              --- In startrekbooks@y..., Jackie Bundy <msferengi@y...> wrote:

              > LOL--You took the words right out of my mouth.
              >
              > I too purchased the rebels trilogy based on the
              > strength of Fallen Heroes. It was pretty
              > disappointing. He wrote another DS9 novel called
              > "Vengence" too. I don't think the author has written
              > more trek since the rebels books.
              >
              > Jackie

              I've got that one on my shelf, too - it has a Klingon warrior from
              Worf's past, his brother's new self Rodek and the Klingons taking
              over the station, from what I remember. Still wasn't as good as
              Fallen Heroes, but way better than the Rebels trilogy - not that
              that's saying a lot...

              Tom
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/deepspacenineavatar
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
                Say, Mr. Odo, Sir, May I respectfully suggest that you
                take your books in your get rid of box to your local
                public Library as If they don't have a particular book
                or have a well worn copy, it might find its way to
                their shelves or in their used book sale to help them
                raise $$$$$$ for new books, etc. Don H.